Can't see windows "c" Drive after booting up with
I have loaded/booted up my computer using knoppix successfully (I think). However I can't find my windows "c" drive to allow me to copy files from it to another computer/cd.
I'm using knoppix because I can't boot into my hard drive using the pre installed windows XP(bad system crash). I can see an hda1 and a hda5 on my knoppix desktop, but these do not relate to the "c" drive which I want to gain access to, thus allowing me to gain access to the files on my hard drive.
It would be great if anyone could give me assistance, I'm a total newbie. But I'm totally into this new operating system.
Thanks
Daz
Re: Can't see windows "c" Drive after booting up w
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazhick
I have loaded/booted up my computer using knoppix successfully (I think). However I can't find my windows "c" drive to allow me to copy files from it to another computer/cd.
I'm using knoppix because I can't boot into my hard drive using the pre installed windows XP(bad system crash). I can see an hda1 and a hda5 on my knoppix desktop, but these do not relate to the "c" drive which I want to gain access to, thus allowing me to gain access to the files on my hard drive.
It would be great if anyone could give me assistance, I'm a total newbie. But I'm totally into this new operating system.
Thanks
Daz
The hda1 is your C: drive or at least it should be unless you have some kind of strange partitioning scheme going on. The hda5 would be depending on the drives in your system your D:, E: or whatever the extended (second) partition on your first hard drive is normally called in windows.
How do I access my windows "c" drive
Thanks for your help.
In my original post I stated that I had hda1 and hda5 on my knoppix desktop, actually I have hda2 and hda5 (sorry) hda1 is NOT there.
As said I’m new to this linux operating system and I may sound a bit dim! But could someone please explain the following.
1) How do I open a console thus allowing me to type in mount /dev/hda3?
2) How do I use "fdisk -l" to list my partitions?
Re: How do I access my windows "c" drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazhick
Thanks for your help.
In my original post I stated that I had hda1 and hda5 on my knoppix desktop, actually I have hda2 and hda5 (sorry) hda1 is NOT there.
As said I’m new to this linux operating system and I may sound a bit dim! But could someone please explain the following.
1) How do I open a console thus allowing me to type in mount /dev/hda3?
2) How do I use "fdisk -l" to list my partitions?
A console window is opened by clicking on the monitor with what looks like a shell on it in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. To use the commands you need to have sudo in front of them which will give you super user (root) access so you would type in the window that opened up sudo fdisk -l /dev/hda to list the partitions, to mount it you would use for example hda3 sudo mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 then you would access at /mnt/hda3 say you want to see the contents then you would use ls /mnt/hda3/ to see what is on the partition.
Gaining access to windows "c" drive, problems
Thanks for your reply Stephen.
Unfortunately after I enter the knoppix console and type in any of the commands you have listed all I ever get is “can’t find” Are the commands you listed case sensitive, are gaps between words critical, etc. I’m unable to “noauto” anywhere. Where exactly do I find it?
I have tried the knoppix cd in another computer and it opened up fine, listing that computers “c” drive on the knoppix desktop as hdc1. When I click on the icon it opened up windows hard drive, works fantastic, however when I enter that Konsole and type in the commands you listed I get the same response message “can’t find” Therefore I must be typing something wrong, missing a gap out or something similar. Is there anything else I have to do before I enter the Konsole to type in these commands to allow them to work?
When I click on either hda2 or hda5 icon on the knoppix desktop (back on the knackered computer again know) a dialogue box opens which states the following;
Can’t mount dev/hda2
Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock.
Or too many mounted file systems.
I take it that neither hda2 nor hda5 are my windows “c” drive. But what and how could I prevent this dialogue box opening? Does it have any significance to my particular problem?
Lastly, I tried the find option to see if this could highlight my windows “c” drive (it did on my other computer above) it listed a load of hda and hdc files it also listed a few files one in particular called devl (size) 536,809,472 it’s permission is set to inaccessible, does this have any significance and how do I allow myself access to this file?
Many Thanks
Daz
Re: Gaining access to windows "c" drive, problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazhick
Unfortunately after I enter the knoppix console and type in any of the commands you have listed all I ever get is “can’t find” Are the commands you listed case sensitive, are gaps between words critical, etc.
All commands in linux (and unix) based systems are case sensistive. How much space you put in between the words shouldn't matter (as long as you use at least one space where there is supposed to be some)