Apt-get upgrade problems, AGAIN - GRRRR
This is really ticking me off, you do one apt-get upgrade, and "something" always gets messed up...
Last time it was XINE, now its LOGIN...
apt-get upgrade stated it was upgrading xdm, and a whole slew of other things, after it downloaded everything, xdm config screen popped up, stating it can't have two display servers running, I had to choose...
The choices were:
kde
xdm
Considering I have been, and have always used kde, I told it to use kde -=- xdm went through a lot of spewed messages, and some file changes, and when it completed, I was back to my root prompt.
Falling back to my old days in Windows, the sure test of any problems is always a reboot...
NOW -=- I get my debian login screen, but no matter what account I select, and enter the proper password for that account, it goes to a black screen, and then pops back up the debian login screen again...
I can't get into my system now...
Why does this always happen when I do a apt-get upgrade? Isn't that what you are "supposed" to do? I am "seriously" getting a "phobic" reaction to doing anything "upgrading" wise on my system here, at least as far as Linux is concerned.
How do I get back into my system?
what a majority of the packages, xdm included, versions were something like 3.0.3-2 or something like that...
Help, this is starting to become a "useless" OS, if you can't get things to run, or when you do, it crashes when you try and upgrade something.
Thanks in advance,
Cuddles
Re: Apt-get upgrade problems, AGAIN - GRRRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
Why does this always happen when I do a apt-get upgrade? Isn't that what you are "supposed" to do?
For what it's worth, I almost never do apt-get upgrade. I'm not clear if you're getting the KDM login or not. If not simply do:
dpkg-reconfigure kdm