Sagem 800 usb modem with Knoppix live cd
Hi I recenlty downloaded Knoppix live cd, but am having trouble installing the drivers and configuring the modem, is this possible with Live cd. Am an absolute newbie to Linux and would need to have things explained to me in the simplest form, I have looked though the forum threads and have came across some topics relating to my problem but I havent had much luck as I dont have much of an understanding of command lines and kernals and stuff. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Sagem modem with Knoppix live
Like others I am a complete newcomer to the world of Knoppix. However I have been able to successfully get the Sagem 800 ADSL modem to connect to Tiscali in the UK. I did it by using the download file and instructions on the Sagem site referenced in another note.
My problem now is that following the instructions although I can get it working one time at installation time, even though I then save the My Configuration file, it is not actually working for the next time that I login. It does save my account and password details. I guess that I am missing a very important step! Can someone help me here please??
The main Sagem steps in the instructions are to download a "tar" file, and then unpack it to a temp directory. Then to change directory eagle-usb/ .. followed by "ll"
Next steps are application of a patch, automatic configuration, make, make install, eagleconfig and finally startadsl.
I am nearly there! Where am I going wrong?
connecting to tiscali broadband using sagem F@st800 ADSL mod
8) Hi I'm there with you all trying to connect to tiscali via the sagem 800 modem with little success so far.I've tried all sorts of things including eagle-usb and managed to wipe off my mandrake linux install. Now I have win xp to connect to tiscali broadband so I can get online that way.I also have knoppix live cd which boots fine but no matter how I try to configure Kppp I just cannot make my connection to the net and tiscali broadband.I would love to run on knoppix version of linux but if I cannot access net then I'm doing something wrong or something is missing.I would be eternally grateful if some kind person out there could help me in a way I can understand as I don't know about root terminals and bios or any of those things!
Re tiscali and F@st 800 ADSL modem
:D Hi All my connection problems are now resolved thanks to Mandriva.com club and forums
I would point any one with this same problem to the advice of rolfp and others.
The forums are free to browse as a visitor.
Worked great for me but I cannot explain any better than them!
Good luck to all :D
Re: eagle-usb/modem driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by divali
Harry, Ok, Now we know that.....
Sorry, I don' think I can be of any help here. I took excepion with the "can't install any programs in Knoppix" statement. But installing drivers for a device, particularly a USB device, may be a bit harder. I don't know if it's going to be able to be done or not. I personally avoid USB networking. I have tried it, and both common sense (based on a knowledge of USB and networking) and experience tells me that it is a Bad Idea™. Back when I got my high speed connection six years ago I refused to accept either a USB device or a dsl card that installed right in a PCI slot and needed a special windows driver. My stubborness and the fighting I had to do with the customer service people paid off; I was able to add an ethernet router to my system and have had very little networking related problems over the years. At first Knoppix refused to recognize my wireless cards, I simply didn't use wireless and tried each new release with my cards until fnally 3.8 recognized one and I could connect wirelessly. Perhaps I could have made ndiswrapper work before that, but it wasn't a priority issue for me.
3.7 pre-dates the union file system, so that limits install options a good deal (and of course I'm talking about Knoppix from CD or DVD here, if you think Knoppix should be installed to hard disk then we just have different religious views too diverse to find points of agreement). I would suggest making sure that the hardware matched the real world and didn't need special drivers that lock you into windows, and then using 4.0.2 of Knoppix. I wish you luck getting what you have working, but I can't provide any insight on how to do that.