problem booting past first screen
Everytime I try to boot from the CD, it doesn't work. I will load and go to the screen that says Knoppix. Then I get some sort of menu type thing. It has a bunch of commands I can do and it says boot, and I can type stuff. If you let it sit for a minute the screen goes black and it wont do anything. I need help. Is there some command i have to enter? Any help would be great.
and i also hear that it starts with the german keyboard layout. what am i going to need to do to get it up and running?
Booting past first screen
This has happened to me too - intermittently. Sometimes it boots normally and goes all the way through and other times it boots to this screen and says that it could not find the system file. If I turn the power off of the computer when this happens and start up again, it usually - usually - starts up all the way through.
Re: problem booting past first screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornface13
Everytime I try to boot from the CD, it doesn't work. I will load and go to the screen that says Knoppix. Then I get some sort of menu type thing. It has a bunch of commands I can do and it says boot, and I can type stuff. If you let it sit for a minute the screen goes black and it wont do anything. I need help. Is there some command i have to enter? Any help would be great.
and i also hear that it starts with the german keyboard layout. what am i going to need to do to get it up and running?
Same here! Actually, this problem only happens on my newer system. Knoppix boots up and runs beautifully on my old Dell Precision 410. It's a dual P3-550MHz w/1 GB RAM. However, when I try Knoppix on my newer P4, it hangs right at the point where it's trying to detect hard drive partitions. I wonder if it has a problem with the serial ATA interface?!? Below is my system configuration that Knoppix is hanging on. I've never been able to get it past the initial X desktop image with the Knoppix logo. The computer completely locks up at that point and I have to hit the reset button.
ASUS motherboard with integrated Intel SoundMAX audio
2.8 GHz P4 with Hyperthreading
1 GB DDR400 RAM
120 GB SATA drive
64MB Nvidia GeForce 4
I did try disabling hyperthreading, since we had issues with HT on our HP/Compaq servers at work on some legacy apps. It didn't seem to make any difference with Knoppix.
Errors at the black screen!!!!!
Hi guys,
i am new to all this stuff in fact its the first time to use linux OS. i made a knoppix live cd and it was successfull...buuut.....when i started to boot with cd it seemed to go well but after displaying the knoppix logo when it starts to load a lot of things in the black screen it gives me a hell of errors eroors errors it didn't succeed in making anything......what am i to do????
a little help is appreciated.......thnx a lot.
Re: Errors at the black screen!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker
Hi guys,
i am new to all this stuff in fact its the first time to use linux OS. i made a knoppix live cd and it was successfull...buuut.....when i started to boot with cd it seemed to go well but after displaying the knoppix logo when it starts to load a lot of things in the black screen it gives me a hell of errors eroors errors it didn't succeed in making anything......what am i to do????
a little help is appreciated.......thnx a lot.
This is my exact same problem. Gives me tons of errors, and locks up at the Network Interface Part. Any help would be great.
Install stops after knoppix log screen
I am also new in the linux world. Just installed knoppix 3.3 on an old DELLl notebook APM bios 1.2/ mem 618652 kb and ram 45856 K , 20 MB. PENTIUM ii ; 363 mHZ AND 256 kB. [[thats what it gave back at installation]. I got the warning that is was too small for KDE and i had to use TWM windows mgr. However, knoppix logo screen was what i got as well as a message [that i need at least 82 kb to start kde] Another box appeared [shell] showing knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$. When i put the cursor on the logo screen AND kept pressing the left mouseclick, i can see a menu, but there is no way to get any further... What to do...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornface13
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker
Hi guys,
i am new to all this stuff in fact its the first time to use linux OS. i made a knoppix live cd and it was successfull...buuut.....when i started to boot with cd it seemed to go well but after displaying the knoppix logo when it starts to load a lot of things in the black screen it gives me a hell of errors eroors errors it didn't succeed in making anything......what am i to do????
a little help is appreciated.......thnx a lot.
This is my exact same problem. Gives me tons of errors, and locks up at the Network Interface Part. Any help would be great.