Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Graphics cards - just my luck?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13

    Graphics cards - just my luck?

    I have just come across Knoppix while looking for a way to recover a damaged hard disk.

    But I can't get 3.3 to recognize any of the 3 graphics cards I have available. These are:

    Nvidia GeForce 2 (64mb)
    Voodoo 3 (12mb I think)
    ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3) (from an old computer)

    I get the "No suitable x-server found for your card" with each, after it tries "fbdev" and "vesa".

    I understand there are difficulties with Nvidia cards, but the other two are surely common enough, even if old! Is it just my luck that I happen to have 3 which won't work with Knoppix - or am I missing something?

    I have tried the "failsafe" cheat code, and putting in the xserver name Knoppix shows on the way through.

    Or can someone suggest a common and cheap card which always does run Knoppix? Resolution, optical quality, etc are not issues.

    Also am I right in assuming that the message on the login screen about the German keyboard would have been taken care of on a uk-produced copy (*-EN.iso)? The "=" sign seems to work normally.

    My system is a 1300 mhz Duron with 512MB Ram

    Many thanks for any suggestions/aclarations

    David

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Graphics cards - just my luck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    I have just come across Knoppix while looking for a way to recover a damaged hard disk.

    But I can't get 3.3 to recognize any of the 3 graphics cards I have available. These are:

    Nvidia GeForce 2 (64mb)
    Voodoo 3 (12mb I think)
    ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3) (from an old computer)

    I get the "No suitable x-server found for your card" with each, after it tries "fbdev" and "vesa".

    I understand there are difficulties with Nvidia cards, but the other two are surely common enough, even if old! Is it just my luck that I happen to have 3 which won't work with Knoppix - or am I missing something?
    Those cards should work fine I have both a Voodoo3 and the ATI card that you have not sure about the GF2 though never tried one of them but it should work. For the ATI card when you get to the startup screen type in knoppix xmodule=ati xvrefresh=60 then the enter key to tell knoppix to use the ati module and a low refresh rate in case you are using an older monitor you may want to add a screen= on the end for the resolution you want eg. screen=800x600 or screen=1024x768 ... . For the nvidia card use xmodule=nv in the line, the Voodoo3 use xmodule=tdfx. Some other cheat codes you may want to look at.

    Also am I right in assuming that the message on the login screen about the German keyboard would have been taken care of on a uk-produced copy (*-EN.iso)? The "=" sign seems to work normally.

    My system is a 1300 mhz Duron with 512MB Ram

    Many thanks for any suggestions/aclarations

    David
    Yes when the iso has the -EN in the name it should be an English version. BTW you do not need an X server to rescue a disk you can do it at the command line.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Stephen:-

    Thanks for your suggestons all of which I tried, as well as trying the CD on another computer.

    But it seems I had a bad copy of version 3.3. I have now got a CD of version 4.4 and it works just fine, without putting anything in at the prompt.

    These things simply happen now and again!

    Thanks anyway

    David

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13
    Sorry - I mean 3.4 of course.

    David

Similar Threads

  1. XGI Volari Graphics Cards (Specifically "Volari V3"
    By I S in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 07:12 PM
  2. Half Luck... Woopie... ;)
    By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 06:45 PM
  3. Any luck with 802.11b wireless pcmcia cards?
    By zippix in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 02:23 AM
  4. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  5. changing hwsetup for multiple graphics cards
    By cYmen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90