-
about those boot floppies...
You know...under this same general support heading...about 6 or 7 posts before this one...a person gave a link to the floppies
i downloaded the *.img files they pointed me to
an an an and...they actually werk
also...see the winimage they mention in the same post.
the link to the floppies is under this cat, (gs)
6 - 7 posts prior to mine
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2g...pix-stuff.html
there ya go...(spoon feedin) lol
it made me a little hot...that the chit chat went on about a mysterious
boot disk...i mean..yeah, i had to find it...but seems like...your posts were so close to the answer (literally)...
winimage will write the *.img file to disk
GET YOUR COPY OF RAWWRITE @
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm
yeah..uranus....somethin somethin
get off the $#@#$ computer and clean your room!
you! goto Bed!
and you...you tramp! just kidding...
big fried chicken eatin...chain smokin...weezin...no-room cleanin...
dirty car drivin...can't wait to get home and get BACK on the computer
no code writin'...
...
<davinci mutters a few last in-coherent words...and drifts off sleep in his
greasy recliner> <a chicken leg slides out of his thick fingers...onto the ashy carpet and doobie his dog...slowly sneaks closer to davincis chair...ultiimately...the dog will get the bone>
-
Senior Member
registered user
As the original poster, my answer has been resolved by this thread:
********
there is a way to make a bootdisk but loosing all SCSI and USB-modules iirc (so it definietly fits):
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/CeBit/make_floppy_3.4.sh
*******
I even burnt the resulting image to a thumbdrive partition so that I could boot a HD / CD install using a thumbdrive. Works great. No problems not having the SCSI and USB modules (yet).
Wanted to post satisfactory results to close out this thread.
Regards,
pau1
I
-

Originally Posted by
newby
Did you get it to read your CD? From looking around I am not the only person having the problems I described above and no one seems to know the answer. I had really hoped that Linux would be the solution to my problems, but I am beginning to wonder. All the blurbs made Knoppix sound like just the thing for the novice to try out Linux
I am a newby but seem to dabble rather than to learn in any structured way. Pity about your experience with Knoppix 3.4 as previous versions did not seem to have this problem. It is pretty remarkable though so I wouldnt give up yet if I were you. My 3.4 cd, which I downloaded myself and checked, failed to load in any form other than "failsafe". I worked out a way of installing Knoppix onto one of my HD partitions nevertheless. I loaded in failsafe and after seeing the nice pretty GUI fully loaded then keyed in Ctl+Alt+F1. I was then presented with a scary bleak command line. Type in "knoppix-installer" and then follow the instructions. I always choose to boot from a floppy and the root partition, NOT the MBR as I dont want anything to interfere with Windoze which I run on the same PC. Once the install is complete take the CD out and boot with the floppy that installer created. Choose kernel 2.6.2. Then, either on the 1st boot or the 2nd boot, Knoppix will recreate your hardware profile as it recognises that you are in failsafe mode with hardly any hardware loaded. I dont know if you feel brave enough to try this, but if not try an older version of Knoppix eg 3.3 or 3.2 until they iron these bugs out (which is what I presume they are). Or try Mepis Linux which is based on Knoppix and very similar, and when I tried it, didnt seem to have the same cd reading problem.
-
I have tried the floppies made using the Knoppix utilities and the set downloaded following eco2geek suggestion.
In both cases I have the same problem as other people, with a mesagge - cant find Knoppix System Files.
Any other line to follow?
Where can I download the floopyboot for Knoppix 3.3, that sees to have worked for other people?
Any help will be much appreciated

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
So we're basically back where we started. Still noone have been able to explain how to create boot floppies withouth being more or less a wizard with linux already, alternatively having an extra computer. Doh.
You can download the Knoppix 3.4 (05-10-2004) floppy boot disk images from here:
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2g...pix-stuff.html
Danger! Beware! Turn those pop-up blockers on first! Turn off those cookies!
(I hate Angelfire. Ads, pop-ups, and cookies galore. But it's free. Suggestions?)
Update: Turns out there are two sets of boot floppies -- one for kernel 2.4 and one for kernel 2.6. Plus, the second disk of each set doesn't have a filesystem on it, just a low level format. So all of you Windows users out there are going to have to use
RawWrite for Windows to copy it.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
oski
Where can I download the floopyboot for Knoppix 3.3, that sees to have worked for other people?
With Knoppix 3.3, the bootfloppy image is there on the CD, in the /KNOPPIX directory, named "boot.img". And there's a DOS utility named "rawrite2.exe" there as well, with which you can create the bootfloppy, with the command
rawrite2 -f boot.img -d A
(or just use the "mkfloppy.bat" batch file).
It's Knoppix 3.4+ that requires two boot floppies. Knoppix 3.3 only needed the one.
-
-
With which program I can make a lowlevel format from the knoppix cd?
-
Junior Member
registered user
It's Too Big!
Alrighty. I just got Knoppix and have it on a CD.
I downloaded the boot.img.
It's 1.40 MB. My Diskette is 1.38 (despite the fact that it says 1.44) MB.
What do I do?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: It's Too Big!

Originally Posted by
Presently42
It's 1.40 MB. My Diskette is 1.38 (despite the fact that it says 1.44) MB.
What do I do?
You could try using a floppy with no bad sectors and not formatted as bootable. But I think it would be far better and far simplier if you just got Smart Boot Manager and either used that to make a floppy that can boot any bootable CD (not just Knoppix) or even installed it to your hard drive's MBR so you wouldn't even need a floppy.
Another program that can do this and has a number of additional features is XOSL. XOSL has a nicer menu system, can hide some partitions during booting, can feed keystrokes to the booting application, includes Ranish Partition Manager, can boot your computer from any hard disk, any CD drive or any floppy, and more. It is somewhat more complex to set up, but not overly complex if you can follow instructions.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Alright.
Well, I managed to get it to start up. Thank you.
However, I now have the (possibly infamous?) Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry message.
I've started a new thread, some where... about this.
Rath of Windows, perhaps?
Similar Threads
-
By Crenn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 25
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
-
By jariep in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
-
By CCC-Shiner in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 11:28 PM
-
By queen2 in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-23-2004, 01:51 PM
-
By worfking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99