Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Getting drivers from Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    Getting drivers from Knoppix

    Knoppix finds the correct drivers for my laptop, but RedHat9 can't. Where can I get the drivers from Knoppix (or the cd/image) to use when installing RedHat9? I need the driver for my lcd display (lgp0657) and ati raedon mobility U1. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I won't say that it's impossible but it's highly unlikely that will work. The drivers on Knoppix were built against the kernel it runs. RH couldn't possibly have the same kernel. Why can't you just build your own drivers against the redhat kernel-source?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17
    I am surprised you had a problem with Redhat and Radeom mobility. On first boot the setup can be wrong, but then you can easily manually choose the correct monitor and the correct video card for everything to work properly. Certainly it can configure these two things better than Knoppix. If you don't choose the correct screen first you will have no luck with the video card settings.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by antskip
    I am surprised you had a problem with Redhat and Radeom mobility. Certainly it can configure these two things better than Knoppix.
    lol...apparently not eh?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17
    I have installed Redhat 9 as well as Knoppix on my notebook with UXGA and ATI Radeon 7500. Redhat was actually dead easy to re-configure after initial installation. With Knoppix 3.4 I had to copy the right XFree86 config files from /etc/X11 from a CD-boot - from the ram drive, after using a cheat code. The HD install failed to detect the UXGA screen. As for Redhat, for both the screen and video card choices one uses the Xconfigurator (as for several previous Redhat versions), -there are a a huge variety of options for both screen and card.Knoppix does its best automatically, and like much automated hardware detection, can get it in wrong, just like for Redhat. But Knoppix does not have as able manual configurator, as far as I have experienced it on an identical system.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3

    my model might be the problem... but I doubt it

    The laptop I'm using is an HP Pavilion ze4600 with AMD processor, and 15" display. I doubt this is the problem. I've tried different settings and monitors during installation. It finds the right driver for my video card (ATI Radeon U1), but I think I'm not picking the correct monitor from the list. I don't see the LGP0657 listed. I might be missing it (from looking too hard ). I've been trying different generic monitors. Thanks for all of your help.



    You're never too old to stop learning.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    17
    Have you tried selecting "LCD panel" and your resolution, or something similar. I don't have Redhat installed now but I am pretty sure you do not have to find your specific screen make, but rather the portable/LCD panel with your default resoultion.

    You could find some inspiration from these reports:
    http://tuxmobil.org/hp.html
    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html

Similar Threads

  1. Conexant Drivers (HSF) For Knoppix 3.8.1
    By rajeeva in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 04:57 PM
  2. Knoppix and Nvidia drivers
    By sandman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 05:59 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.4 10/05 Soundcard Drivers
    By Zeb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 10:25 AM
  4. i installed knoppix on one of my drivers but now...
    By DimGR in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 07:37 PM
  5. knoppix with nvida drivers
    By Ghandalfar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Team-Group T-force 2x8GB Desktop Memory picture

Team-Group T-force 2x8GB Desktop Memory

$50.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130 picture

WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130

$94.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black picture

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black

$429.94



NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3 picture

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3

$550.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00