-
Going to Knoppix
Hello, new here
I am Debian-user, but i want to move to Knoppix due to several reasons
I know i can apt-get on Knoppix, just like Debian. Do i have the same advantages of that, i.e.: can i use the debian security repositories and so on ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would say, yes... Considering my default sources.list contains lots of debian ftp/http sites. If I understand your question correctly.
Sample output of my apt/sources.list:
From what I know, Knoppix is just a unstable version of Debian, or Debian is a stable version of Knoppix, depending on the point-of-view you take. Taking into account the three levels of Debian; Stable, Testing, Unstable - we just be a "close family" 
Hope this helps,
Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Going to Knoppix

Originally Posted by
balarini
Hello, new here
I am Debian-user, but i want to move to Knoppix due to several reasons
They are?
I know i can apt-get on Knoppix, just like Debian. Do i have the same advantages of that, i.e.: can i use the debian security repositories and so on ?
The lines are already included in the Knoppix sources.list but it really does you no good. Security fixes are not made for testing (which Knoppix is pinned too) they come through after the package moves through unstable into testing so when there is a security announcement made you have to specifically install the package from unstable to get the fixed version. This is where being subscribed to the [email protected] comes in handy so you get the notifications and can check to see if you need to upgrade a package.
-
Why ? Simplicity.
Knoppix finds my hardware, and dont give me the headache that Debian gives me sometimes. Like my ethernet card Via-III. I could not use module via-rhine, although everybody told me so.
And we here in Brazil have a distro called 'Kurumin', itīs Knoppix-based.
Itīs very popular here, and very stable.
All i want is a distro that can be as easy to manage as knoppix, and as stable as Debian.
Am i asking too much ???
-
Why not just try to get the configuration files to work with your current installs, it should be able to, but I personally don't know how. That seems like it may be a more inteligent solution to your problem to me, but hey who knows better than you?, and (better quesion) who knows how to do that?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99