-
Junior Member
registered user
"He knows doctor ... he knows ... he is constructing a crude cannon ... " Spock
The /home partition sounds great, and from what you guys are saying I wonder if a /etc partition wouldn't be a good idea also.
Kudos to the Knopsters for turning Linux installs "upside right".
"Make it work first, then install it" I like it.
I also like the fact that changed files on the system then seem to be isolated to /home and whatever I f*** with in /etc.
One little nit I have with the whole thing - when I click on the hard disk icons to auto mount a couple of discovered ext3 drives I have on the system, it seems to mount them as read-only, so then I have to shell in, unmount and then add the actual -rw to the mount command.
I figured adding -rw to the /etc/fstab (on an hd install) would solve the problem and it did. It would be nice if the thing came up out of the box with the discovered drives as rw, as I also added a S91samba to rc.5 to start samba automatically and to start sshd automatically which I would think would be activated at bootup - or is that considered a security no-no for a distribution?
-t-

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
got this "knowledge" from Eco2Geek, so, don't quote me on this...
Don't quote me on it either.
I posed the a similar question to Kano, the Kanotix guy, and his answer was:
Basically the best way is to use a seperate partition for /home if you like to reinstall often. A backup of manually changed files in /etc is good too. If you use a home partition then you only have to change one line in /etc/fstab (or just replace the file) to activate your home at bootup.
(You can quote him.)
Similar Threads
-
By wademago in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:35 AM
-
By Everscythe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 09:38 AM
-
By Kowood in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 05:57 AM
-
By anduril in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 26
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 01:09 AM
-
By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T280 Digitizer Battery Back Cover EB-BX306GBY
$150.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Lot of (4) 1TB NVME SSD M.2 2280 Samsung Micron Used
$399.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5 Screen 128GB Storage and a Samsung KEY BOARD
$150.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77