Quote Originally Posted by vulcanidiot
The /home partition sounds great, and from what you guys are saying I wonder if a /etc partition wouldn't be a good idea also.
If you ever mess with 'BSD, then it is reccomended to have multiple partitons (around 6 if I remember correctly) for all of your data structures, but that does include the swap directorly (and that is for just a multi-user/single-user setup [what I mean is not just a file server]). That way you can keep your root, home, swap, temp, bin, etc, and any others from screwing up your system, and only making the reinstalling of any software easier. It also makes sense to do the same for WindowsXP/2000, if you look for your system variables one of your options is for home/settings/documents directory, which allows you to places all of you documents on say a removeable harddrive, or a different mirrored RAID system.