-
Senior Member
registered user
Removing some of kde before upgrading to new version.
Hi,
I'm at a point where an upgrade is in order. Here's the thing, a while back I ran apt-get install kde which loaded an additional 100MB of files onto my installation. Now I see that kde is at 3.2.1 for testing and 3.2.2 for unstable, but what I wanted to do is remove all of kde and then reinstall 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 with just the kde-base or kde-core instead of the entire kde metapackage. Even better would be some way of removing some of kde components down to kde-base size. How does one tailor apt-get in such a way as to remove only certain components but keep others even though they may depend on the components being removed? For instance, if I apt-get remove kdelibs4, it will remove all of kde plus guarddog, arts, kdm, etc, but I want to keep kdm, guarddog, and remove everything else before reinstalling kde-base again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nevermind,
Found my old baseline file and used that to create a diff file, and then sorted and purged the unwanted kde apps that didn't come with knoppix.
-
what baseline - diff,
could you give me some details
thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you search the forum for my earlier posts, there is one which I explained how I baseline my system before adding/removing/upgrading software. The command I use is
Code:
dpkg --get-selections > todaysdate.txt
I keep them so I can revert my system to a particular date when I didn't have the additional software that were added/removed since then. Then I take the first file and then take the last file, for example: lastmonth.txt and todaysdate.txt, then I open a console as root and type
Code:
diff lastmonth.txt todaysdate.txt > packages.diff
and it will add plusses to packages that weren't in lastmonth.txt, or add minuses to packages that were in lastmonth.txt but not todaysdate.txt and output the whole thing to packages.diff. Then I edit the diff file and delete all packages that don't have a plus next to it, then remove the plusses and finally rename the file to kicklist. Then I run the command:
Code:
apt-get remove --purge `cat kicklist`
Viola! all the packages that were installed since lastmonths.txt would be gone and purged and the system is pretty much back to lastmonth's state with upgraded packages. Nice, no?
-
thanks for that
i could possibly be about to fuck up my system and that wi save me a lot of trouble... A LOT
Similar Threads
-
By kaplan71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By rozen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
-
By eric2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
-
By mrnobody in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95