Nevermind,
Found my old baseline file and used that to create a diff file, and then sorted and purged the unwanted kde apps that didn't come with knoppix.
Hi,
I'm at a point where an upgrade is in order. Here's the thing, a while back I ran apt-get install kde which loaded an additional 100MB of files onto my installation. Now I see that kde is at 3.2.1 for testing and 3.2.2 for unstable, but what I wanted to do is remove all of kde and then reinstall 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 with just the kde-base or kde-core instead of the entire kde metapackage. Even better would be some way of removing some of kde components down to kde-base size. How does one tailor apt-get in such a way as to remove only certain components but keep others even though they may depend on the components being removed? For instance, if I apt-get remove kdelibs4, it will remove all of kde plus guarddog, arts, kdm, etc, but I want to keep kdm, guarddog, and remove everything else before reinstalling kde-base again.
Nevermind,
Found my old baseline file and used that to create a diff file, and then sorted and purged the unwanted kde apps that didn't come with knoppix.
what baseline - diff,
could you give me some details![]()
thanks
If you search the forum for my earlier posts, there is one which I explained how I baseline my system before adding/removing/upgrading software. The command I use isI keep them so I can revert my system to a particular date when I didn't have the additional software that were added/removed since then. Then I take the first file and then take the last file, for example: lastmonth.txt and todaysdate.txt, then I open a console as root and typeCode:dpkg --get-selections > todaysdate.txtand it will add plusses to packages that weren't in lastmonth.txt, or add minuses to packages that were in lastmonth.txt but not todaysdate.txt and output the whole thing to packages.diff. Then I edit the diff file and delete all packages that don't have a plus next to it, then remove the plusses and finally rename the file to kicklist. Then I run the command:Code:diff lastmonth.txt todaysdate.txt > packages.diffViola! all the packages that were installed since lastmonths.txt would be gone and purged and the system is pretty much back to lastmonth's state with upgraded packages. Nice, no?Code:apt-get remove --purge `cat kicklist`
thanks for thati could possibly be about to fuck up my system and that wi save me a lot of trouble... A LOT
![]()

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99