Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: newbie - xmms mp3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    newbie - xmms mp3

    Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms. The website describes xmms as an mp3 player, but elsewhere I've read that there are licensing issues for the mp3 decoder.

    Has mp3 support been dropped? Can it be manually added?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: newbie - xmms mp3

    <snip>
    Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms.
    </snip>

    Hmmm... the default installation works fine for me -- in fact, I'm listening to streaming MP3s through http://www.shoutcast.com right now. As far as I know, there are no licensing issues with it.

    Do the sample OGG files work? Perhaps you have a corrupted CD image or the CD itself has a problem. I'm not sure what else to suggest right now.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    xmms mp3

    I got it working. Apparently, I had to start xmms with "artsdsp xmms" instead of the default "xmms". Is this normal?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    xmmsarts

    I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    xmmsarts

    I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I think re-mastering for a xmms plugin is a little over the top. If you have that much disk space (5-7gb from what I read) laying around you might as well install to the HD then any changes you make will be saved to disk.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.
    Yes, this works for me too. To make it more or less permanent, call up the KDE menu editor and change the Xmms entry command line to "artsdsp xmms" ; and also the wmxmms entry to the same. This way when you click on a file and Xmms opens it it works properly.

    Thanks Stephen, I was really banging my head over this one!

    I'd be interested in knowing if there's anyone that this doesn't work for....

    Andy

Similar Threads

  1. XMMS and /dev/cdrom
    By Stapper in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
  2. Xmms freezes
    By pulsar in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 05:28 PM
  3. XMMS
    By evirus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
  4. XMMS freezing up...
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
  5. Xmms freezes
    By pulsar in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00