-
newbie - xmms mp3
Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms. The website describes xmms as an mp3 player, but elsewhere I've read that there are licensing issues for the mp3 decoder.
Has mp3 support been dropped? Can it be manually added?
-
Senior Member
registered user
RE: newbie - xmms mp3
<snip>
Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms.
</snip>
Hmmm... the default installation works fine for me -- in fact, I'm listening to streaming MP3s through http://www.shoutcast.com right now. As far as I know, there are no licensing issues with it.
Do the sample OGG files work? Perhaps you have a corrupted CD image or the CD itself has a problem. I'm not sure what else to suggest right now.
-
xmms mp3
I got it working. Apparently, I had to start xmms with "artsdsp xmms" instead of the default "xmms". Is this normal?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.
-
xmmsarts
I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?
-
xmmsarts
I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think re-mastering for a xmms plugin is a little over the top. If you have that much disk space (5-7gb from what I read) laying around you might as well install to the HD then any changes you make will be saved to disk.
-

Originally Posted by
Stephen
Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.
Yes, this works for me too. To make it more or less permanent, call up the KDE menu editor and change the Xmms entry command line to "artsdsp xmms" ; and also the wmxmms entry to the same. This way when you click on a file and Xmms opens it it works properly.
Thanks Stephen, I was really banging my head over this one!
I'd be interested in knowing if there's anyone that this doesn't work for....
Andy
Similar Threads
-
By Stapper in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
-
By pulsar in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 05:28 PM
-
By evirus in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
-
By pulsar in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99