Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Moving desktop icons

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9

    Moving desktop icons

    I have installed 3.3 on HD. When I go into KDE, desktop icons rearrange themselves in one top-left column. How can I change this default behavior? Thanks.

    Eris Pluvia

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    There is a hidden folder in user's home, .kde. In there is another folder, autostart and a file, "sorticons". Delete that file (or if you are worried like I was the first couple of installs ) rename it. That drove me absolutely batty for a couple of days.

    The icons will stop rearranging every login. The desktop will also come up at lot faster (in my case it would "sorticons" for ages on my slower system )

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    There is a hidden folder in user's home, .kde. In there is another folder, autostart and a file, "sorticons". Delete that file (or if you are worried like I was the first couple of installs ) rename it. That drove me absolutely batty for a couple of days.

    The icons will stop rearranging every login. The desktop will also come up at lot faster (in my case it would "sorticons" for ages on my slower system )
    Oh! Thanks a lot!

    Shouldn't this question be on FAQ? I wonder...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    eris, this was the topic of one of my very first posts, http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ghlight=#38272

    No one had responded on this or another forum and loads of googling had brought up nothing. Most of the search results brought up a common bug with KDE of moving the icons randomly or losing them. Judging from screenshots at places like KDE Look, a lot of people just keep them there on the left. I just went poking around the system for days looking for "desktop" or "icons" anything and came upon that "sorticons.desktop" in the autostart folder. I tried renaming and it worked and I never had a problem. Since then I just delete the bugger straight off. but you may want to play safe and rename it.

    You may need to become root to delete or rename it - that is the way I always do it and I guess there is a reason for it. I just forget what the reason is

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Moving desktop icons

    Quote Originally Posted by eris_pluvia
    I have installed 3.3 on HD. When I go into KDE, desktop icons rearrange themselves in one top-left column. How can I change this default behavior? Thanks.

    Eris Pluvia
    In newer versions this is automatically deleted, but I forgot why I added it ...

    cu

    Fabian

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    In newer versions this is automatically deleted, but I forgot why I added it ...
    OMG, you are getting like me--aww Fabian, you mean you are the reason I nearly bailed all those months ago when I couldn't get my silly icons to stay put and I figured I was the linux luser of all time?

    I am not sure how many distros are using your script! (which is PRICELESS, BTW, priceless) I have had that problem with knoppix, kanotix and morphix too, I believe. I haven't hd-installed anything since kanotix BH5 (Kano still has the sort icons thing, I installed with "knoppix-installer"). And on his distro the sorticons goes on and on and on.... I always let it run once before I delete it. I had assumed it had something to do with change to hd and thought maybe it was "setting" something to harddrive so let it have its way exactly once after hd install. Then I would nuke it :P

Similar Threads

  1. desktop icons
    By michael7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
  2. Desktop icons
    By oldgeezer in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 06:46 AM
  3. Desktop drive icons
    By Tortoise in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 01:33 AM
  4. Persistant desktop icons
    By Davamundo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 07:43 PM
  5. Where do the desktop icons go?
    By skyconcert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046 picture

Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046

$24.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00