Sounds like fun I would hit the F2 key when you get to the opening screen then you have all the time in the world to switch floppies and type in the cheat code.Originally Posted by lothario
My BIOS does not allow me to set "boot from CDROM".
But I did not need a boot floppy With KNOPPIX 3.3 because it somehow booted from my CDROM.
After what appears like some kind of a timeout, KNOPPIX 3.3 would boot from
the CDROM. So I had to wait for the timeout but I was happy.
Now with Knoppix 3.4 there is no timeout. It just does not boot from the CDROM at all.
The only way to force a CDROM boot was to use the boot.img from 3.3 CD to
create a boot floppy. (Why does 3.4 not contain this boot.img ??)
Now the system boots from the floppy which then invokes the CDROM and KNOPPIX 3.4 starts to bootup.
Ok, I can live with that.
With 3.3 it was possible to do "knoppix floppyconfig"
With 3.4 it is not so simple to do "knoppix floppyconfig" because:
1. The boot floppy is full with all it boot files.
2. So I have to have a second floppy with the floppyconfig data.
3. But then I have to swap the boot floppy with the 2nd floppy when I see the 3.4 "boot:" prompt.
4. This is not easy because the boot prompt itself does not have a long timeout. So if I am late then I have to reboot.
Any suggestions on how I can still do a floppyconfig or something similar without these gymnastics?
I do not have USB ports or hard disks on this computer.
Sounds like fun I would hit the F2 key when you get to the opening screen then you have all the time in the world to switch floppies and type in the cheat code.Originally Posted by lothario
Just a thought:
What if you copied the boot.img file to the hard drive and then used the bootloader manager to boot the cd from the boot.img file? Something along the lines of:
1) copy boot.img to c:\
2) edit the nt boot.ini file and add c:\boot.img="LinuxCD" to the end and save it.
3) insert knoppix cd and reboot
4) boot from hard drive and when the bootloader prompts you, choose LinuxCD and boot to knoppix on cd
Would something like that work? This way you could free up your floppy drive for the floppyconfig cheatcode without switching.
Durand
As I mentioned, I do not have a hard drive in this PC.
In the meantime, I am using the F2 key.
If all you've got on that 2nd floppy is your saved configuration, you've got lots of time after you see the boot prompt and before you have to have it in the drive. Knoppix goes through all its hardware configuration before it accesses it. (Watch the messages on your screen.)But then I have to swap the boot floppy with the 2nd floppy when I see the 3.4 "boot:" prompt.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046
$24.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00