Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installing Knoppix 3.3 (16. II 2004.) onto HDD in steps.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5

    Installing Knoppix 3.3 (16. II 2004.) onto HDD in steps.

    Hi to all. I need a help with installing Knoppix 3.3 (16. II 2004.) onto HDD. I have a realy good computer, but I do not want to install Knoppix onto it, so I decide to install it onto my old computer (IBM, Intel 440BX chipset, Intel Pentium II 450MHz, 256MB SDRAM PC-100, 6.4 GB HDD). The boot CD works well on this computer and everything works fine. Now, I want to install it onto HDD. Using Power Quest PartitionMagic 8.0 I partitioned HDD (5GB for Ext2 FS and ~1.4 GB for LinSwap partition) - as described in the manual. Then I boot comp from Knoppix CD with option Knoppix 2. I typed this in the cmd prompt:
    -----------------
    CD ..
    CD mnt
    mount hda1
    -----------------
    cp -a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda1
    -----------------
    After ~30min coping has finished. After that (as described in the manual) I modified lilo.conf file (using command vi /mnt/hda1/etc/lilo.conf). I removed one line as described in the lilo.conf file and I put hda1 as boot device. I saved lilo.conf file. Then in the command prompt I typed this cmd:
    lilo -C /mnt/hda1/etc/lilo.conf
    and I recieved this message (something like this)
    Error: /boot/map~ :Read-only file system
    Whats wrong?
    If I done something wrong, please, write me how can I install this stuff in steps (pleeeeasseee, IN STEPS, 'cose I am a really beginner in Linux).

    Thanx to all for a help,
    MPenza

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Looks to me you're trying the poor man's install instead of the full install method. Have you tried opening a console window and used the following code to install knoppix to the computer:
    Code:
    sudo knoppix-installer
    That will install a full blown debian-like system assuming you choose debian install instead of knoppix install. Note, it's best to configure your system preferences, cheatcodes, etc first before installing knoppix, as that will transfer to the hard drive exactly as is, preferences and all.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanx Durand for your help. It works!... Of, course, it works well... Thanx again!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Glad you made it. Welcome aboard the Linux Train!

Similar Threads

  1. What steps to take after boot fails?
    By adamherb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
  2. Steps I took to configure Knoppix (Nvidia drivers and more)
    By yosef in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 03:25 AM
  3. Combing Steps
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
  4. First steps away from the Bugger
    By Spinned Noob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 04:41 AM
  5. Security. First Steps.
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00