Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to prevent Knoppix from reporting insufficient RAM?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    How to prevent Knoppix from reporting insufficient RAM?

    Hi There,

    I am using Knoppix for a quiet server/controller PC working in TXT mode only (runlevel 3).
    The problem I have is that I have only 48MB RAM and every time I boot, Knoppix complains about it and asks for confirmation (need to press Enter). This is not acceptable for me since I need to have the machine boot up automatically after any power failure.
    So, the question: is there any cheat-code or any other way to prevent this message from appearing or going over it after a timeout (I waited for 1 minute and it didn't time-out, so I assume it waits for Enter)?

    Thanks for any hint

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    as it is a server i assume a hddinstall.
    create a swapfile or a swap partition and add it to /etc/fstab
    you might try to boot in text only mode, that wil reduce the amount of ram needed.
    hmm perhaps never start a few things not needed (like auomounter and so).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    as it is a server i assume a hddinstall.
    create a swapfile or a swap partition and add it to /etc/fstab
    you might try to boot in text only mode, that wil reduce the amount of ram needed.
    hmm perhaps never start a few things not needed (like auomounter and so).
    Well, actually it is not a classic server. It is supposed to run without any HD. I know very well that, when I have any HD with a swap partition, Knoppix will simply use it without any complaints. That is fine. But I do not have the HD and still want the PC to boot completely without my intervention. Is it possible?

Similar Threads

  1. How to prevent Firewire IEEE1394 to become eth0
    By rduke15 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:07 AM
  2. How do I prevent, loading hisax ISDN drivers (Knoppix 3.7)?
    By sopinon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 12:06 AM
  3. knoppix replaces my own fstab at new boot, how to prevent ?
    By schrippe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 01:47 PM
  4. Prevent knoppix-install from formatting dest partition
    By Noclaf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
  5. Prevent KDE to restart after killing X ?
    By TOM in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 03:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95