Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1

    More info on the same issue...

    I am working on a friend's DELL Latitude CPx J650GT (BIOS Version A08)

    I also get:

    <pre>
    Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [FUJITSU MHK2120AT]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124]
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0 <blink>_</blink>
    </pre>

    And then just a flashing cursor.

    One time I did something (I don't know what I pressed!) and it moved on to hdc, but it still didn't find the CDROM.

    When I boot using failsafe it mounts the CDROM fine from hdc

    I don't know whether it's the Samsung CDROM that's having the DMA problem, or just the way the DELL BIOS handles it.

    If I boot with:

    <pre>
    knoppix26 nodma
    </pre>

    It gets through OK, but then it also hangs right after:

    <pre>
    Starting advanced power management daemon: apmd[PID]: apmd 3.2.1 interfacing with apm driver 1.16ac and APM BIOS 1.2 apmd.
    APM Bios found, power management functions enabled.
    </pre>

    It then won't switch off unless I disconnect the power.

    It seems that this is where it's doing the PCMCIA detection, which is a bit naughty, because it hasn't yet put anything on screen to warn you it's probing for PCMCIA at this stage.

    I tried to boot with:

    <pre>
    knoppix26 nodma nopcmcia
    </pre>

    (& the other options I need) - this works perfectly! :o)

    I hope this helps someone!

    John Harrison

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzweil
    Quote Originally Posted by thepler
    Quote Originally Posted by thepler
    just throwing in another "me too"
    I'm using a Dell Latitude.
    knoppix nodma

    at the boot prompt worked for me
    This also worked for me.
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 733 MHz, Lite-On LTN483S cdrom and google research tells me an Intel 810e chipset.

    Knoppix 3.2 booted without any problems, 3.4 complains that it cannot find the knoppix file system after looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0.

    knoppix nodma - allows me to boot successfully.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    I have the same problem. I have two hard drives in hde and hdg. My CD (tried with two different LiteON DVD burners) is in /dev/hda. 'failsafe' works, as does 'knoppix nodma', but 'knoppix26 nodma' does not. I also tried 'knoppix expert' and didn't select any SCSI drivers, but it didn't work.

    I had the same problem with Slax, but the newest version fixed that. My guess is that this is related to having the CD-ROM at an unusual location (/dev/hda).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2
    I had this problem and solved it by using

    knoppix atapicd

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    cant find cd to booth

    yip me too,tried 2 different cdrom drives no joy,i could only get it working in fail safe mode (

    , tried several commands it all leads back to the hanging

    Looking for cdrom /dev/dcd0
    Looking for cdrom
    /dev/hda
    and then hangs, so now that we know the problem were's the answer
    a suggestion was atapicd,havnt tried it yet,but are computers ever that simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Trouble: /dev/scd0
    By sstathakis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
  2. How can I create the scd0 block device
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:03 PM
  3. cdrom
    By ivansv1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
  4. 3.2 freezes after "mounting /dev/scd0"
    By Buchwald in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:51 PM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$490.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$325.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99