Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0

  1. #1

    Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0

    knopppix 3.4 booting with noscsi nopcmcia
    I get the following:

    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [WD ...]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SAMSUNG ...]
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

    then it keeps spinging the CDROM drive and nothing happens.
    It's on a Dell Optiplex GX150. 3.1 auto boot had no problem at all.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Jae

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi !

    I have been using 3.3 without any problem. 3.4 seems to hang while searching for the CD drive :

    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0
    The CD drive spins for a while and then the seach scan for hda, hdb then hangs.

    I tried on my other pc and I was able to boot ok.

    If someone has a clue of how to make it work, I will give it a try !

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    I am also having a problem, booting with "linux26 noscsi nodma" it hangs on the line:

    Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM on /dev/scd0

    but if I switch to the 2.4.236 kernerl with "linux24 noscsi nodma" it boots fine..


    What the heck is going on here?!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1

    try nodma

    tanks i see if i can make 2.6 work

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    me too. i have a dell optiplex and knoppix 3.3 (and 3.2) booted fine without any intervention from me. i download 3.4 (and checked/verified md5) but both the May 4th 2004 and May 10th 2004 releases hang on "looking for CDROM" dev/scd0...I eventually had to use failsafe to boot into KDE.

    does anyone have any idea? let me know if you need more info from me. TIA.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    just throwing in another "me too"
    I'm using a Dell Latitude.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by thepler
    just throwing in another "me too"
    I'm using a Dell Latitude.
    knoppix nodma

    at the boot prompt worked for me

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    i have this problem also..

    it assigns my cdrom to /dev/hda and my hd to /dev/hdd

    but then it scans /dev/scd0 for the knoppix cd..?!

    of course it's not there, since the cd is located at /dev/hda. it then spits out the "cannot find knoppix file system"..

    how do i fix this??

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3

    Re: Looking for CDROM in /dev/scd0

    Quote Originally Posted by twin_cylinder
    knopppix 3.4 booting with noscsi nopcmcia
    I get the following:

    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [WD ...]
    Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SAMSUNG ...]
    Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

    then it keeps spinging the CDROM drive and nothing happens.
    It's on a Dell Optiplex GX150. 3.1 auto boot had no problem at all.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Jae
    I noticed you have a SAMSUNG cd drive. Maybe this is the root of our problem because I have one too and I get the same thing.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by thepler
    Quote Originally Posted by thepler
    just throwing in another "me too"
    I'm using a Dell Latitude.
    knoppix nodma

    at the boot prompt worked for me
    This also worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Trouble: /dev/scd0
    By sstathakis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
  2. How can I create the scd0 block device
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:03 PM
  3. cdrom
    By ivansv1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
  4. 3.2 freezes after "mounting /dev/scd0"
    By Buchwald in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 07:51 PM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99