Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: smaller Knoppix install?

  1. #1
    Guest

    smaller Knoppix install?

    I got an old laptop that runs great with Knoppix, but I am unable to get the install script to do it's job because my harddrive is too small.

    Basically I got 1.9 gigs to work with. If I were able to install the CD minus KDE, openoffice, Mozilla and a few other of the weightier apps I'd have a perfectly configured old laptop.

    Has anybody made an iso of a Knoppix one off with all the hardware detection, and a working install for leaner systems?

    'KIX' does not detect my usb ethernet connection, and the install script seems broken.

  2. #2
    Guest
    Well, what I did was modified the install script so that the size checks were zapped. After that I mounted hda1 and deleted all the QT, kde, and docs as they were getting written. It worked. I'm sure someone will eventually make an installable, but leaner knoppix based iso in the near future.

    There are just too many old computers sitting out there with win95 on them.

    BTW, it did a great install on an old Acer 200 laptop, it even recognzed the USB ethernet conection. I got sound working after configuring ALSA.

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: smaller Knoppix install?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I got an old laptop that runs great with Knoppix, but I am unable to get the install script to do it's job because my harddrive is too small.

    Basically I got 1.9 gigs to work with. If I were able to install the CD minus KDE, openoffice, Mozilla and a few other of the weightier apps I'd have a perfectly configured old laptop.

    Has anybody made an iso of a Knoppix one off with all the hardware detection, and a working install for leaner systems?

    'KIX' does not detect my usb ethernet connection, and the install script seems broken.
    [/b]

  4. #4
    Guest

    Minimal knoppix

    It would be nice to have minimal knoppix (<< 500MB) to be used as easier debian instalation for those who wish to try 'apt-get' and are unable to install all HW (and network) properly.
    It would be also great base for for demo CDs (something like MoviX).

  5. #5
    john miles
    Guest

    Minimal Knoopix

    I use Knoppix running from the HD but in compressed loopback so all you need is ~750MB!!

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Guest

    650 cd-rom

    I found this as my first step away from the windows terror. But i have one problem my scsi cd burner only write 650mb cd-roms ((
    so what i'm asking is wat can I do(let it be easy!) otherwise i'll search for some one that can write 700mb

  7. #7
    stfrn
    Guest

    loopback

    'john miles', how were you able to store knoppix as a loopback? Us newbies want the commands! Plus, that sounds like a nifty trick to use in the future.

Similar Threads

  1. Faster - Smaller Boot Floppy!
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 12:29 PM
  2. Make it smaller
    By WolfCub in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
  3. Desktop Smaller Than Screen
    By almarote in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 06:57 PM
  4. HDD Smaller than 2.2 GB
    By umbra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 07:20 PM
  5. Smaller versions
    By newguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM picture

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM

$129.00



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Lot Vintage SCSI Controller Cards Adaptec BusLogic BusTek AHA-1542 1520 ISA EISA picture

Lot Vintage SCSI Controller Cards Adaptec BusLogic BusTek AHA-1542 1520 ISA EISA

$179.95



Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard picture

Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard

$79.00



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00