-
smaller Knoppix install?
I got an old laptop that runs great with Knoppix, but I am unable to get the install script to do it's job because my harddrive is too small.
Basically I got 1.9 gigs to work with. If I were able to install the CD minus KDE, openoffice, Mozilla and a few other of the weightier apps I'd have a perfectly configured old laptop.
Has anybody made an iso of a Knoppix one off with all the hardware detection, and a working install for leaner systems?
'KIX' does not detect my usb ethernet connection, and the install script seems broken.
-
Well, what I did was modified the install script so that the size checks were zapped. After that I mounted hda1 and deleted all the QT, kde, and docs as they were getting written. It worked. I'm sure someone will eventually make an installable, but leaner knoppix based iso in the near future.
There are just too many old computers sitting out there with win95 on them.
BTW, it did a great install on an old Acer 200 laptop, it even recognzed the USB ethernet conection. I got sound working after configuring ALSA.
-
Re: smaller Knoppix install?

Originally Posted by
Anonymous
I got an old laptop that runs great with Knoppix, but I am unable to get the install script to do it's job because my harddrive is too small.
Basically I got 1.9 gigs to work with. If I were able to install the CD minus KDE, openoffice, Mozilla and a few other of the weightier apps I'd have a perfectly configured old laptop.
Has anybody made an iso of a Knoppix one off with all the hardware detection, and a working install for leaner systems?
'KIX' does not detect my usb ethernet connection, and the install script seems broken.
[/b]
-
Minimal knoppix
It would be nice to have minimal knoppix (<< 500MB) to be used as easier debian instalation for those who wish to try 'apt-get' and are unable to install all HW (and network) properly.
It would be also great base for for demo CDs (something like MoviX).
-
Minimal Knoopix
I use Knoppix running from the HD but in compressed loopback so all you need is ~750MB!!
-
650 cd-rom
I found this as my first step away from the windows terror. But i have one problem my scsi cd burner only write 650mb cd-roms
((
so what i'm asking is wat can I do(let it be easy!)
otherwise i'll search for some one that can write 700mb
-
loopback
'john miles', how were you able to store knoppix as a loopback? Us newbies want the commands! Plus, that sounds like a nifty trick to use in the future.
Similar Threads
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 46
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 12:29 PM
-
By WolfCub in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
-
By almarote in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 06:57 PM
-
By umbra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 07:20 PM
-
By newguy in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge R720 Server 2x Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHz 64 GB RAM No OS No HDD Read-
$239.95

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99