-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
nvgringo
First of all thanks again for taking your time to help.
But I dont think that you understand the problem that I am having. It does not matter which desktop I try to use KDE is the only one that will come up. If I choose fluxbox as a cheat code at startup KDE starts. If I use Fabians restart X script and choose GNOME. X restarts with KDE. I could understand If the WM started up without the changed settings. but they are not starting at all. Just KDE. The settings in KDE saved just fine by the way.
Also if I want to use Synaptic in the chroot enviroment with X running do I have to set up a root password? If I do have to set up a root can I remove it before burning the remaster?
Have I used up all of my questions yet

What KDE are you using? If it's 3.2, perhaps this is the cause of the problem. This will affect settings in kdm which is probably the default login mgr.
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75882
A couple of other checks you could try to see if the other wm's are working OK:
1) Try 'startxfce' or starxfce4' from a KDE Konsole. Usually xfce will start within KDE.
2) try 'xdm' from terminal login. This will start xdm instead of kdm as the login manager. Xdm is the default login manager for xfce and should not be affected by the above 'bug'.

Originally Posted by
pokemontel
The problem is that its say that I can't run kde . not enough memory...
FYI, I'm using 2GB of memory. I had check using top on the parents directory and still got lots of available memory.
I have had this happen also. It seems to occur when 45xsession script is unable to sucessfully open any window manager. Possibly it is using up all available memory trying to start kde which then shows as a low memory situation, it doesn't actually mean you need more memory but instead something is wrong with your start kde setup. The memory check is at the very end of the 45xsession script.
I was not successful trying to get x to start in chrooted environment, I've given up & am having more success remastering starting from a Knoppix-style HD install.
Similar Threads
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 02:09 AM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
-
By vi.tan.gr in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-29-2003, 07:53 AM
-
By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
-
By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

COMMODORE 1581 3-1/2" FLOPPY DRIVE WITH JIFFYDOS. TESTED AND WORKING
$325.00

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded
$89.50

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA
$10.49

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords
$149.99

Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++
$449.99

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller
$29.99

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Framethrower, Amiga HDMI output via a PiStorm A500 A2000
$40.00