-
Junior Member
registered user
Cannot boot 3.4: suspect SATA problem - help!
QUICK HISTORY:
I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run:
hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg
in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.
PROBLEM:
My problem is knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line:
Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o
and if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over
I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3
BUT i still can't get 3.4 to boot at all......... help! please! thank you
-
Junior Member
registered user
A quick update:
I have tried a huge variety of configurations using both linux24 and linux 26 with the noscsi, nodma, noapic and acpi=off with little success.
I can boot successfully with "linux24 noscsi nodma"
However I am trying to boot with linux26 so I can do an HD install. I've tried linux26 with most of the options I list above with no success. The boot config of "linux26 noscsi nodma" will hang on the line:
Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM on /dev/scd0..
Please help! Thank you!
I can always try to do an install with the debian-installer but I prefer Knoppix!
-
try "knoppix noscsi"
or
try "knoppix26 noscsi"
these both work for me
Moustache
-
Junior Member
registered user
thanks moustache,
"knoppix26 noscsi" and "linux26 noscsi" work for me. For some reason, it seemed to be freezing up or hanging on when it tried to do mapping to /etc/fstab but after i waited awhile it finally came back. It was pretty convincing thought and had me fooled. I thought it had locked up. But you have to wait a minute or two,.
Thanks
-
Re: Cannot boot 3.4: suspect SATA problem - help!

Originally Posted by
fourthirtysix
QUICK HISTORY:
I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run:
hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg
in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.
PROBLEM:
My problem is knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line:
Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o
and if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over
I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3
BUT i still can't get 3.4 to boot at all......... help! please! thank you

Thanks for the post! I used your tip, and booted my 80 GB IDE fine on a 3.3 copy. The 3.4 was indeed hanging. the hang point was when scanning
and creating /etc/fstab.
I will think about how to get aroud this but go forward by going backwards...
Kindest Regards,
Paul
-
Junior Member
registered user
i already wrote this in another post but will repeat here since i still have not gotten any help yet.
booting with "knoppix26 noscsi" allows me to boot. when it gets to the mounting /etc/fstab section it hangs for a minute, then begins to repeat "Disabling IRQ #18" over and over again. then after two minutes of this, it finally loads KDE.
unfortunately, after KDE loads i cannot get the SATA hard drive to mount. It tells me that it can't read the superblock. My old trick using knoppix 3.3 of typing "hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg" doesn't help anymore.
I'm sad that I can't using Knoppix 3.4 because of the continuing problems with getting it to read my sata hard drive but I cannot find help so far
thanks
Similar Threads
-
By eiger67 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM
-
By moep in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-04-2005, 06:52 AM
-
By Evil One in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-01-2005, 11:01 PM
-
By rcook in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
-
By best15 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Lot 300 Micron 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$9000.00

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00

16GB DDR4-3466 RGB Hyper X Fury Kingston 2x8GB HX434C16FB3AK2/16 Deskop Memory
$120.00

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99

A-Tech RAM 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DIMM/2666MHz
$50.00

Ram Cards, 4 GB, LOT OF 16
$116.00