Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: kernel 2.6.5 Nvidia Drivers install problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14

    kernel 2.6.5 Nvidia Drivers install problems

    I did a HD install of the 2.6 kernel. I'm having problems installing the nvidia drivers for my geforce2 MX card running on my shuttleX ss51g.
    I downloaded the nvidia drivers,
    In inittab, I set it to runtime level 3
    rebooted
    logged in as root in runtime 3
    ran the installer:
    # sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
    received errors "set the cc enviornment variable to the name of the compiler used to compile your kernel"
    so I ran
    # export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
    next I got error:
    Error: unable to determine the nvidia kernel module filename
    so i ran:
    # export SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux
    next I got error: "Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.o'. Install the kernel source files for your kernel"
    so I ran
    # uname -a
    to determine kernel name and got:
    Linux box 2.6.5 #1 SMP Sat May 1 22:31:22 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
    so i ran
    # apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.5-1-686-smp
    next, removed symbolic link to the 2.4 kernel
    # cd /usr/src
    # rm linux
    next, created symbolic link to my new kernel headers
    # ln -s /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.5-1-686-smp/ /usr/src/linux
    ran the installer again but got error:
    ERROR: The kernel header file '/usr/src/linux/include/linux/kernel.h' does not
    exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source path
    '/usr/src/linux' is incorrect. Please make sure you have installed the
    kernel source files for your kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for
    example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you
    know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the
    kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.

    If I follow the path /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ I can see the file kernel.h right there!! Why won't the installer see it? I've tried changing the --kernel-source-path commandline option but nothing.
    I've also tried apt-get remove kernel-header i686 and then install kernel header K7 but still nothing. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a more simple way to install the nvidia drivers on a 2.6.5 HD install?

    Thanks for you help,
    JC

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Did you try:
    apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.5
    ln -s kernel-source-2.6.5 /usr/src/linux

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14
    No, I haven't tried the kernel-source, but I did try kernel-headers. I'll try that next.

    I'm hoping to just get a step by step procedure from anyone that has sucessfully installed the nvidia drivers on the 3.4 knoppix 2.6 HD Install.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14

    success!

    Only after finding the the instructions below, was I able to get the drivers running okay (with an additional twist at the end -see below). The thread can be found here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10329
    but I'll go ahead and include them anyway in case someone else finds their way to my thread. These instructions took a while to complete, but they work. Thanks kelmo!!

    __________________________________________________ _______
    wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...-2.6.5.tar.bz2
    cp linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2 /usr/src
    tar jxvf linux-2.6.5.tar.bz2
    rm -f linux
    ln -s linux-2.6.5 linux
    cp /boot/config-2.6.5 linux/.config
    cd linux/include
    ln -s asm-i386 asm
    cd ..
    make oldconfig
    patch -p1 <../knoppix-kernel26.patch
    make include/linux/version.h (bug in cleaning process of linux-2.6.5)
    cd /usr/bin
    rm -f gcc
    ln -s gcc-2.95 gcc
    cd /usr/src
    apt-get update
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source
    tar zxvf nvidia-kernel-source
    cd modules/nvidia-kernel
    debian/rules KSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.5 KVERS=2.6.5 kdist_image
    cd ..
    dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.6.5_1.0.5336-9_i386.deb
    apt-get install nvidia-glx
    cd /usr/bin
    rm -f gcc
    ln -s gcc-3.3 gcc

    Thats the building and installation procedure done, now to let xserver know what driver to use. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with your fav text editor and make the following mods:-

    Drivers Section
    Replace "nv" with "nvidia"

    Modules Section
    Remove or comment out lines including "dri" and "GLCore"
    Ensure there is a line with Load "glx"
    __________________________________________________ ________

    After running this install, I tried to run
    # kdm
    but the server failed to start. The logs weren't specific, but it said "nvidia" not found, failed to start server.

    I then went back to the console and ran
    # export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95
    # sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

    Drivers installed sucessfully

    Edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - made necessary changes

    The installer finished sucessfully and I finally now have the nvidia drivers running.Yay!! Still the Postal2 demo won't install, I get a greyed-out "Begin Install" button, but oh well I can try to find a different OpenGL game to try.

    I got sick of the nvidia logo so I
    added this line to the device section of XF86config-4:-

    Option "NoLogo" "true"

Similar Threads

  1. Where is kernel 2.6 source to compile Nvidia drivers?
    By pepe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
  2. HOWTO: Nvidia drivers after hard drive install
    By robelanator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 10:10 PM
  3. nvidia drivers with kernel 2.6.6 howto (resolved)
    By Yakumo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 05:07 PM
  4. Would like to install Nvidia drivers in 2.6.5
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
  5. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB  SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5

SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5" /7 (SDSSDH3-1T02)

$138.56



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00