Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: HDD install with KNX2HD and KNX-HDINSTALL easier than ever

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    The next screen just gives me the option to partition. As soon as I manually create two primary partitions. . .first 3800MB bootable and the second 400MB. . .then when I write and quite it gives me the same message again. . .and again and again. . .?

    I would have thought that maybe it was VMWare. . .but it works fine with v3.3

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Caguas, PR
    Posts
    18
    I have no idea what could be causing it. Maybe someone has that same problem and a solution?

    Did you tried every time from scratch? like re-downloading the knofig, etc?

    When you boot up with the CD do you use any cheat codes?


    --
    Take care.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    I have tried without any cheat codes. I have added lang=en and have also tried dma.

    I also did try downloading the most recent from the web with the provided update script.

    I have deleted all the partitions several times as well.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Posts
    21

    Hdd install problems

    Your problem sounds like you have a hidden mbr giving you trouble. Boot to a DOS floppy that has fdisk on it. type : fdisk /mbr. That should fix your master boot record. If you still have a Knoppix 3.3 do a disk partition with it instead of the 3.4. This morning, I tried to hdd Knoppix 3.4 using a seperate 50mb boot secto, which it created hidden! Things got screwed up, so I went back to try a regular hdd install using hda1 and hda2 (swap). I would not take. I ended up fdisk / mbr, and using knoppix 3.3 to setup the hd. What does 3.4 report as your total partiion size. When I was having trouble, my total partitions were a little less than my hard drive, telling me there was a hidden partition.
    Hope this works for you. It did for me.

    Jesse

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thanks. I tried fdisk /mbr and then repartitioned on 3.3. Still same message.

    I am using a 3.2GB drive. . .2900MB for primary, then the remaining 300MB for swap. Again, I have no trouble choosing to install 3.3 to hd, but 3.4 just doesn't like me.

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    belgium
    Posts
    27
    hi,

    the procedure now also includes a knofig file which does not perform the hard disk size checks... this means <quote from knofig> the program will NOT check if there is enough space to install knoppix on the selected partition(s). Use at your own risk! </quote from knofig>

    hope that hepls, g.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    i've been WAITING for this! heh (get it: waiting? waiting for godot? oh, nevermind.)

    will try it out first thing tomorrow, see if it fixes my install problems.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    What in the world? I tried the install again today booting off my 3.4 CD after a week trip (on which I carried my knoppix cd the whole time but didn't actually end up using it). . .when I ran knx2hd today I got an entirely different menu. . .and it seems to be installing on the same computer it wouldn't work on before. . .?

    Only difference this time is that 3.3 was already installed on the HD this time and the CD had a week in my backpack in Taiwan.

    Just got a couple errors about not being able to delete some folder because it is read only. . .didn't catch the entire message. Still completed successfully.

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    belgium
    Posts
    27
    hi,

    there are indeed two distinct graphical interfaces for the hard disk installation tool... this was also the case for knoppix 3.x where x is strictly less than 4

    if one follows my procedure exactly and executes `sudo su -;sudo knx2hd` in a terminal window, one gets the text/ncurses based gui. but if one simply executes `sudo knx2hd`, one gets the X11-based gui.

    I used to have problems with the password entry prompt using the X11-based installer for knoppix 3.x where x is strictly less than 4, but this problem never occurred using the text/ncurses gui.

    g.

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6
    I'm trying to install the 3.4 version of Knoppix, and I have a bit of a problem. When I go to install, it says I don't have enough space. Is 100GB enough? Anyway, I tried using the config said for no checking the hds, and that didn't work. I then used the IGNORE_CHECK=1 command which then came up with the hd error (as said in the guide), but then went straight to this dialog and back to the root.

    Fatal dialog error:

    Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4.
    Use --help to list options.



    real 0m2.602s
    user 0m0.140s
    sys 0m0.170s
    Please can someone help? [/quote]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering just got easier?
    By mzilikazi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 10:14 PM
  2. Easier way to use a camera in linux?
    By ZeroKun in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 01:29 PM
  3. Help on the knx2hd (install on HD)
    By dou01553 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 02:21 AM
  4. knx2hd install: what to expect?
    By linda in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 06:35 PM
  5. nVidia hindsight - ok, but what is easier?
    By nrj in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 06:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95