Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: problem booting - please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1

    problem booting - please help

    when i boot knoppix v3.4 i get the following error message:

    starting init process

    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 12032 65536/0/23726/0 271680926-271704652
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 12032 65536/0/23726/0 271680926-271704652

    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprob -s -k binfmt-0000, errno=5

    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 12032 65536/0/23726/0 271680926-271704652
    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 12032 65536/0/23726/0 271680926-271704652

    kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.


    then my computer stops.

    please help
    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I would check the md5sum of the iso first: http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html
    And boot with: "knoppix testcd" to see if it's ok.
    If they're both fine, start trying with different cheatcodes, someone said noscsi is worth trying.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2
    I'm another Linux noob and I get the same error, a long list of them. I have checked my .iso against the .md5 file and it is fine. Everything goes well untill after it checks for USB/Firewire devices. The CD spins in a weird way too so I know it's a dodgy CD.

    I burned the CD-R with Alcohol 120% at 4x (DAO/SAO), I thought that would be slow enough.

    Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2
    Well I have had no luck trying to get it to boot through my DVD-ROM drive, but when I tried to boot using my CD-RW drive (the same drive I used to burn the CD) it worked fine .

    If you have the same problem with CD read errors and you have tested the .iso against the .md5 file and it's ok, try booting the CD in all your optical drives before you write it off as a duff.

    Time to get a LiteON me thinks.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting problem.. :|
    By JUSTiNB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
  2. Booting Problem
    By egyfreaker in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 11:51 PM
  3. Problem in booting from CD
    By balakrishnan in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 06:34 AM
  4. CD Booting Problem
    By billmacc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 10:47 PM
  5. Booting Problem
    By RayN in forum Laptops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00