Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Compiled 2.6.5 and mouse acts weird

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    Compiled 2.6.5 and mouse acts weird

    Hi everyone. Knoppix is a FANTASTIC distro. I am so impressed with it. I only have one issue. If I compile a new kernel in the 2.4 series e.g., 2.4.3 or 2.4.5 then everything runs smoothly. However, if I compile a 2.6 series kernel e.g., 2.6.5 then when X starts I have to shake my mouse about 10 times left and right and then it moves! If I did not move it, then it would just be stuck there forever! WOW Has anybody seen this before? Thanks guys. Prem

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Try turning off the option for preemptive kernel when compiling your 2.6 kernel, that should help. In my case, the mouse moves too fast in 2.6 as opposed to 2.4.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hey thanks for the quick reply. Preemptive kernel huh? I'll check the config file for it. I wonder i f there is some setting in my XF86Config-4 file I change to fix this? But I will definately follow your route. Thank you! Prem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    In XF86Config-4, change Protocol "PS/2" to "IMPS/2"

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    My XF86Config-4 file has "ExplorerPS/2" as the protocol for my ps/2 mouse. I found somewhere that this is required for compatibility with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. If left to auto or PS/2, it will work fine in 2.4 but not correctly in 2.6. (My mouse tends to lose the wheelmouse function in 2.6 when using auto or PS/2). You might want to try that as well. But ultimately, preemptive kernel plays a role in this, as this affected my machine when viewing flash programs. With preemptive turned off, the flash program doesn't "seemingly freeze" when attempting to move the mouse to another program or scrolling a page.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Durand Hicks
    You might want to try that as well. But ultimately, preemptive kernel plays a role in this, as this affected my machine when viewing flash programs. With preemptive turned off, the flash program doesn't "seemingly freeze" when attempting to move the mouse to another program or scrolling a page.
    Have you reniced X by editing the /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config and changing the nice value to 0 (zero)?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Stephen,

    I read about renicing X, but that was supposed to apply to those kernels that have the o(1) scheduler merged into its code. If I'm using a 2.4 kernel without the o(1) scheduler, then this isn't necessary. I have a set of kernels that I switch between to see what it's effects are on my laptop. Once, I pare down the kernels to about 2, then I'll consider renicing X if I keep the kernel with the o(1) scheduler patched in. I'm not using the 2.6 kernels because they don't do power management correctly, no matter if I compiled with apm or acpi.

Similar Threads

  1. C compiled files with Knoppix
    By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM
  2. Running compiled files
    By kepler in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 01:30 PM
  3. I burn the CD, but then it acts like it has no data
    By bosnja in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 08:59 PM
  4. Knoppix for PS2, compiled for MIPS
    By stelman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:54 PM
  5. Request for MPPE compiled in...
    By Vermyndax in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01