-
How I got Knoppix to work
I've been experimenting with Knoppix (version 3.3, I think) and it's very impressive.
This is a summary of how I got my P166-MMX with a trackball on /dev/ttyS1 to work with Knoppix.
At the boot prompt I enter: knoppix 2 lang=us desktop=xfce nousb nopcmcia.
Apparently Knoppix doesn't like serial mice. Starting at run level 2 allows a user to run gpmconfig, and also
permits you to access a text editor (I use mcedit) to change the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file so that X will recognize your mouse.
I tried using the expert boot option, but changing the mouse settings that way didn't work.
The following steps could be done in an xterminal, although I prefer to do them before an X session.
Once Knoppix is loaded, to enable my modem I type:
setserial /dev/ttyS? irq #
Replacing the ? and # with the appropriate numbers. Later, I'll setup the actual connection using the tools in X.
To set up printing using CUPS:
/etc/init.d/apache start
/etc/init.d/cupsys start
Now I can type:
lynx localhost:631
to configure my printer, or I can go to X and point Mozilla/Konqueror at localhost:631.
Now for the best part: Loading kernel modules.
I discovered that there are quite a few kernel modules available with Knoppix. to see them, type:
modconf
and you'll see the list.
The ones I'm especially interested in are the iptables/packet filtering modules, the parport module, and
the sg and ppa scsi driver modules for using an older Iomega zip drive.
What I'm going to do is load the modules I want, then copy them from /lib/modules to /mnt/floppy, so I can have them available when and if I need them.
Almost forgot: If you haven't gone into X yet, you can get there by typing:
startx
or:
xinit
if you're a purist
.
Similar Threads
-
By Aphot in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-20-2005, 11:33 PM
-
By pabloo in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 10:15 PM
-
By slurp in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:24 AM
-
By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3
$185.00

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black
$44.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120
$999.00

Lot of 10 Cisco CP-8851 5-Line VoIP Business Phone w/ Stand
$249.95

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99