Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Japanese Filenames

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    Japanese Filenames

    I have serveral files with japanese filnames on my harddisk (created with Windows XP). However when I open a folder containing files with japanese filenames with Konqueror it doesn't show the files at all. It only shows the files without japanese characters in them.
    Is there a solution to this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Yes. Don't use japanese filenames.

    They aren't standard (? not sure), and nearly every tool will get troubles with them.
    You can't share them to people, who don't have a japanese keybord, and most people don't even have a japanese font.

    I'm not sure whether windows officially supports japanese characters in filenames, but it's really only useful, if you use these files only in your box.

    [A-Z][a-z][0-9]_$. has been a standard in former times.

    Rename or copy these files from windows.

    You are a Japanese? And nearly every Japanese has a japanese keybord?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    Yes. Don't use japanese filenames.

    They aren't standard (? not sure), and nearly every tool will get troubles with them.
    You can't share them to people, who don't have a japanese keybord, and most people don't even have a japanese font.

    I'm not sure whether windows officially supports japanese characters in filenames, but it's really only useful, if you use these files only in your box.

    [A-Z][a-z][0-9]_$. has been a standard in former times.

    Rename or copy these files from windows.

    You are a Japanese? And nearly every Japanese has a japanese keybord?
    Windows XP supports japanese filnames, I'm not japanese but many files I download (for example with bittorrent) have japanese filenames. So that means if I change to a linux distro I won't be able to download those files anymore? Anyway I was hoping that the problem could be fixed somehow (and renaming the files is not an option).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Well - windows supports in some way german umlauts ('äöüÄÖÜ') and 'ß'.
    But some tools for win/dos don't handle them correct. It's more a half-way support.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    Well - windows supports in some way german umlauts ('äöüÄÖÜ') and 'ß'.
    But some tools for win/dos don't handle them correct. It's more a half-way support.
    I found a solution, I mounted the partitions with "-o iocharset=utf8", I haven't tried it under Knoppix though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    is utf8 just unicode ? I believe Windows use unicode for filename, at least for NT based system, not sure about the 98/ME etc.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I'm not sure about that, but I guess you need utf-16 for japanese filenames.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    I'm not sure about that, but I guess you need utf-16 for japanese filenames.
    Hmm, I'll try mounting with utf16 but man mount didn't have that as an option. Anyway to clearify, it actually works for me now, I can access the files with japanese filenames. The only problem is that they're named something like "£@$@£$" but that certainly beats not seeing them at all.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    In kernel 2.6.5 I saw a lot of options about nls - (native language support) in the fs (filesystem) subtree, including nls_euc-jp.
    I'm not sure what their duty is, but perhaps it's just your problem, and you have to recompile your kernel (or get a new one).

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    edit: sorry ignore

Similar Threads

  1. Japanese and Knoppix
    By ak in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM
  2. Q: k3b CD Burning & Long Filenames?
    By diogenes in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 12:52 PM
  3. Java and Japanese
    By ak in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
  4. Is Japanese Language available here?
    By vaio55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 03:35 AM
  5. gqview --> filenames with german umlauts
    By wicking in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails picture

1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails

$310.00