-
Junior Member
registered user
Several inconsistencies with Knoppix 3.4
Greetings.
First of all, this is an awesome community. I have found all of the info and help on a lot of things regarding Knoppix Live CD and HDD-Install, by searching the forums and links posted by users.
Unfortunately, every time I go into Knoppix HDD-Installation on my PC(I have dual boot with XPPro) there are several inconsistencies with Knoppix. For example:
1. Sometimes X starts with the keyboard in DE instead of the previously configured EN.
2. My screen resolution does not match my monitor's capabilities(1280x1024), even though I have edited the config files for XWindows, and have also run XF86Config with the same result, using root account.
3. My HP DeskJet 672C printer doesn't print, even though it has been configured and also detected automatically by the config wizard.
4. KMix opens up automatically sometimes, when X loads.
Any ideas and suggestions?
My current hardware is:
AMD Athlon XP 1900+
512MB RAM
GeForceFX 5200 w/128MB
Hyundai DeluxScan S770 Monitor
Latest NVIDIA drivers installed
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have never encountered your weird type of problems after a hdd install... why not have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46750
cu, g.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thank you godot. I will try those steps to see how it goes.
Any other suggestions or recommendations besides the ones in your site?
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
I haven't used the knoppix installer in a while, but could it be that you selected knoppix mode as opposed to debian mode install? If so, the automatic hw detection and possibly the X-configuration runs at each reboot...
-
Junior Member
registered user
It must have been that baldyeti, since when I verified the configuration it had three options, beginner, knoppix and debian. I chose knoppix when I first installed it.
I'm going to try godot instructions to see what happens.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Greetings.
Well, I followed godot's HOWTO to the letter. So far everything seems to be working, but I get some error messages when I boot and when I shutdown.
My dmesg can be found here. The strange thing is, that there are some error messages displayed at boot time, that I can't seem to find on dmesg. Do I need to look somewhere else?
Where can I find the shutdown log?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you for the help so far.
--
Take care.
-
I was or am having the same problem as the first poster. The kmix comes up on reboot. So... I did the godot installation. Nice set up of a debian system however, ndiswrapper wouldn't install. So... I reinstalled using the old begginer method and *boom* ndiswrapper installed!
So now I'm back to where I started. Looks like I'll have to live with the kmix poppin up if I want to have the ndiswrapper working. The only way I've been able to get rid of the kmix on boot is to disable the desktop restore. So...
perhaps this kmix starting up problem has something to do with the settings which govern the desktop restore.
Any tips on how to get this kmix not to come up *with* a desktop restore would be welcome.
Arthur
-
Senior Member
registered user
KMix opening when KDE starts after a Knoppix install is kind of odd. Have you checked your ~/.kde/Autostart folder for it?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Greetings.
No I haven't verified the autostart folder yet.
I'm still having problems with the screen resolution not staying at the configured size, after installing nvidia drivers.
Take care.
-
yeah, the only thing in ~/.kde/Autostart/ is a hidden file called directory....
art
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99