Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Several inconsistencies with Knoppix 3.4

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Caguas, PR
    Posts
    18

    Several inconsistencies with Knoppix 3.4

    Greetings.

    First of all, this is an awesome community. I have found all of the info and help on a lot of things regarding Knoppix Live CD and HDD-Install, by searching the forums and links posted by users.

    Unfortunately, every time I go into Knoppix HDD-Installation on my PC(I have dual boot with XPPro) there are several inconsistencies with Knoppix. For example:

    1. Sometimes X starts with the keyboard in DE instead of the previously configured EN.

    2. My screen resolution does not match my monitor's capabilities(1280x1024), even though I have edited the config files for XWindows, and have also run XF86Config with the same result, using root account.

    3. My HP DeskJet 672C printer doesn't print, even though it has been configured and also detected automatically by the config wizard.

    4. KMix opens up automatically sometimes, when X loads.

    Any ideas and suggestions?

    My current hardware is:
    AMD Athlon XP 1900+
    512MB RAM
    GeForceFX 5200 w/128MB
    Hyundai DeluxScan S770 Monitor
    Latest NVIDIA drivers installed

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    belgium
    Posts
    27
    I have never encountered your weird type of problems after a hdd install... why not have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46750

    cu, g.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Caguas, PR
    Posts
    18
    Thank you godot. I will try those steps to see how it goes.

    Any other suggestions or recommendations besides the ones in your site?


    TIA

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I haven't used the knoppix installer in a while, but could it be that you selected knoppix mode as opposed to debian mode install? If so, the automatic hw detection and possibly the X-configuration runs at each reboot...

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Caguas, PR
    Posts
    18
    It must have been that baldyeti, since when I verified the configuration it had three options, beginner, knoppix and debian. I chose knoppix when I first installed it.

    I'm going to try godot instructions to see what happens.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Caguas, PR
    Posts
    18
    Greetings.

    Well, I followed godot's HOWTO to the letter. So far everything seems to be working, but I get some error messages when I boot and when I shutdown.

    My dmesg can be found here. The strange thing is, that there are some error messages displayed at boot time, that I can't seem to find on dmesg. Do I need to look somewhere else?

    Where can I find the shutdown log?

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thank you for the help so far.

    --

    Take care.

  7. #7
    I was or am having the same problem as the first poster. The kmix comes up on reboot. So... I did the godot installation. Nice set up of a debian system however, ndiswrapper wouldn't install. So... I reinstalled using the old begginer method and *boom* ndiswrapper installed!

    So now I'm back to where I started. Looks like I'll have to live with the kmix poppin up if I want to have the ndiswrapper working. The only way I've been able to get rid of the kmix on boot is to disable the desktop restore. So...

    perhaps this kmix starting up problem has something to do with the settings which govern the desktop restore.

    Any tips on how to get this kmix not to come up *with* a desktop restore would be welcome.

    Arthur

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    KMix opening when KDE starts after a Knoppix install is kind of odd. Have you checked your ~/.kde/Autostart folder for it?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Caguas, PR
    Posts
    18
    Greetings.

    No I haven't verified the autostart folder yet.

    I'm still having problems with the screen resolution not staying at the configured size, after installing nvidia drivers.


    Take care.

  10. #10
    yeah, the only thing in ~/.kde/Autostart/ is a hidden file called directory....

    art

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99