Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Vivanco optical PS/2 wheelmouse doesn't work (freezed)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5

    Vivanco optical PS/2 wheelmouse doesn't work (freezed)

    I have this Vivanco optical PS/2 wheelmouse. The mouse cursor just sits there at the center of the KDE screen. I've tried "knoppix nowheelmouse", "knoppix wheelmouse" and "knoppix pci=irqmask=0x0e92" with no luck. What should I try next?

    The mouse works under Windows (98, XP) without any additional drivers, and I think it works under DOS, too, but I'm not sure.

    In case someone is cataloging hardware incompatibilities, the model is Vivanco Primary Optical Mouse EDV-NR.13007/MSOP10.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    Now I've tried another, normal 2-button PS/2 mouse. That one doesn't work either. Also, I tried "expert" and different PS/2 mouse drivers but they didn't work. Any suggestions?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    I was told to try to go to console with ctrl-alt-f1 and type "cat /dev/psaux". It said something about the device being busy. Is this normal?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    I booted "knoppix -b" and then tried "cat /dev/psaux". It prints my mouse movements out to stdout or something. The mouse should work but it doesn't under X or KDE or... what?

    Any answer would be helpful.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    A few more cheatcodes to try: pci=irqmask=0x0e98, pci=biosirq, nowheel.
    Some BIOSes have extra settings for keyboard and PS/2 ports which can be disabled.
    If it helps here's the relevant part of my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "PS/2 Mouse" # Match this with InputDevice above
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" # Try "PS/2" or "auto" if it doesn't work
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    EndSection

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for your reply!

    I solved the problem by going to BIOS and changing 'Plug and Play OS' to 'disable'. Just FYI, I have an Abit KT7A motherboard with latest BIOS patches.

    But why do I have to do that? Isn't Linux a PnP OS? I know it's often Plug and Pray in Windows, but it still seems weird that something as common BIOS option as that doesn't work. This kinda reaffirms the myth that Windows is easier to install... and that's sad.

    BUT, ADSL connection through a router was much easier to install under Knoppix than under Windows. The damn thing actually autodetected the DNS servers! Typed this computer's IP and router's IP and that was it! Wow! Connection is up, I\m writing this on Knoppix and the whole procedure took only a minute! Now THAT's plug and play.

    I can imagine how handy Knoppix is when building a new computer. Stuck in the hardware, and if there's OS install problems just put in Knoppix and ask help or download upgrades from the internet. Cool...

Similar Threads

  1. Logitech Optical USB Wheelmouse
    By hailing in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 10:05 AM
  2. IntelliMouse Optical does not work on USB
    By cybersmurf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 03:26 PM
  3. Stuck with Logitech PS/2 Wheelmouse : still does not work
    By bobke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:11 PM
  4. microsoft optical wheelmouse...
    By jamesgf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 12:44 PM
  5. Logitech Optical Wheelmouse
    By bobaloo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2 picture

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2

$7.84



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.59