-
Junior Member
registered user
stopping hackers?
Hi,
I am working in an institute with a linux cluster and one week ago a hacker got the su password of my personal laptop and tried to access win computers (there are some) via samba. I suppose he was looking for music or video files; fortunately he didn't come to the idea of deleting the work which I depeloped the last four years... Now I have made a backup. But I had to reinstall everything (per chance it wasa the day of the release of Knoppix 3.4... I try to be positive-minded) because when I did an chkrootkit I found that some files were "suspect". I think I know how he got to get to the system... Anyway, I would like to install something that definitively STOPS people like that... Do you have any suggestion?
thanks,
Pau
-
If you really want security, then go with OpenBSD. It isn't linux, but it is unix based (as opposed to derived), and it has only had 1 security problem with the default install in the past 8 years since the project's formation.
The only downfalsl are that it is not faster than the 2.6.x kernal, but that might change within 18 months... they are very slow to develop improvment since their first priority is for security, so they bash as hard as they can everywhere they can think to. The other problem is that the hardware support is slower to get development to occur since they are trying to find any problems with the hardware first (to patch the holes up in software).
But if you go with an OSX based computer/laptop in the future, then you can buy a piece of software that allows OSX to be run as a Xwindows Desktop Environment ( only works with a BSD since that is what OSX is based off of), with full support of all of it's software.
side comment : Now if Mac would just lose the stupid one button mouse thing, then it would be the best system available to the market. Power of unix usability of windows, stability of FreeBSD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit
You can still use all of the Linux software and the shells (provided you install support for them (an option with the installers)). just not the drivers.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well - I don't know what you already did to stop hackers.
Which services are running on the machine?
Is everyone of these needed?
Are they configured for security?
Do you have a firewall?
I guess you have to answer the question of costs:
How much money might be invested once in a security project?
How much money can be spend on a montly base, to keep security up to date?
In both questions 'money' might be replaced with 'time'.
-
They should separate the cluster from the internet. Most clusters are separated from the net, from what I hear.
If they can't do that, they should put in a device which only allows people onto the lan only via VPN though a commercial firewall, such as cisco, watchguard, sonicwall.
Outside cluster users should have to VPN into the network
They should control the number of users who have access to the cluster.
Perhaps one machine in the lan can act as an intrusion detection system, because there's no reason for a portscan to take place on that private network.
A second machine could act as a honeypot, running honeyd for example.
Using devices such as fingerprint readers is a good idea, becuase if some script kid has put a keylogger on your computer, they still can't copy your fingerprint.
-
lol
when you visit the site security web sites, you can be noticed there are a lot of ppl trying to own hardware fw/router
if you install one, you will have to look for patch every days
if the win comps have internet access, it will be very hard to stop intrusion by reverse connection
as user unknown said, you may have to look for commercial help
Similar Threads
-
By ShaunMcGoldrick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 01:15 AM
-
By glt4392 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:32 PM
-
By Eradicator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included
$299.99

Intel H2000 4 Node H2216XXKR, 2x 1600w PSU HPC Server Chassis 16x 2.5"
$199.99