Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: HD Map is fscked?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Titusville, FL USA
    Posts
    13

    HD Map is fscked?

    After partitioning my drive, I installed Knoppix to hda1 (/, 58 GB) and hda2 (swap, 1 GB).

    Note: Partition designation must be added to the installer. I wanted
    to use hda1=/, hda2=swap, hda3=/home, and hda4=/usr
    but could not _easily_ do this with the installer. Yes, you can modify
    the .kno file but it should all be within the GUI.

    Problem: I was running KMail last night after an apt-get update, upgrade cycle. KMail crashed because of a disk-full error. If / is on a 58 GB disk, there is _no way_ that the disk could have filled from either the apt-get operations or KMail ops. I believe that somehow the mapping of my hard drive has been changed.

    Bob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Tilleyrw,

    Hmmmm, from what I can see, it sounds like you "must" have gotten your drive mapped the way you were thinking you "wanted" it to be [?]

    Just for background, what sizes would you have set up the partitions?

    You suggested you wanted the following setup:
    Code:
    hda1=/, hda2=swap, hda3=/home, and hda4=/usr
    What sizes were...
    /dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda3
    and lastly,
    /dev/hda4

    Only thing I can think of, and this is only my guess, the ROOT was being used in the apt-get update/upgrade, and either, or both, the HOME and USR areas were being used in KMail - don't quote me on this, its only my guess. Depending on the sizing of these partitions, it would, I would think, possibly cause a "disk full" error if the partition got full.

    I have not only had KMail running, but two Mozilla sessions, Frozen-Bubble, and two Konsole sessions, running while I was doing a apt-get [anything] - and have yet to have anything "crash" or report a disk is full.

    I only have one "physical" hard drive, a 41 gig, broken down into 40.5 gig for the complete system, and 500 Mb for the Swap, currently I am at 19.3 GB free on the "main" partition. I would like to get to using the "suggested" partitioning that you are trying to set up, but have not been able to "iron down" the exact sizing I should be using. The only thing I was able to get exacting, was the swap, 500 MB.

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    tillyrw:

    you may use 'df' (DiskFree) to get a quick look on your partitions - size, usage, name, ...

Similar Threads

  1. fscked permissions?
    By n01mportant in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Cisco UCS B200 M4 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz = 24C/48T. CPU's Included, No RAM/HD picture

Cisco UCS B200 M4 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz = 24C/48T. CPU's Included, No RAM/HD

$36.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99