Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Release 3.4 - saving settings after HD Install?

  1. #1

    Release 3.4 - saving settings after HD Install?

    I have 3.4 running wonderfully well on a Thinkpad T30 notebook- even the CD burner works, sweet.......

    I've performed the HD install, but some settings aren't saved between sessions - my network card settings in particular.

    I can easily create these settings with the Knoppix-->Network/Internet-->Network Card Cofiguration utility that front-ends ifconfig, but these settings aren't enabled when I restart. They ARE saved on the system, in that when I run the utility the previously entered settings are shown as the default and all I have to do is enter 'OK" for each setting except DHCP broadcast - I have a fixed IP on this machine.

    Perhaps I need to disable DHCP somewhere?

    I've done quite a bit of looking and can't find the answer to how to save these settings and would appreciate any tip or pointer to the FAQ that I missed.

    (Many thanks to the posters on these forums who have solved many of my minor problems with this release).

    jim

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hello, you should check the /etc/network/interfaces file and see what it says about your eth0 adapter. If the parameters are correct (that's probably where netcarconfig reads them from) then see if one of your startup scripts has a "ifup -a" command. I'm running mepis here, so details may differ, but there should be a link from /etc/init.d/networking to /etc/rcS.d/S*networking (or possibly rc2.d or rc5.d). If there isn't, create one: "ln -s /etc/init.d/networking /etc/rcS.d/S40network". This needs to be done as root, from a command-line session - or you could probably achieve the same result with the KDE sysV editor, but that's left as an exercise ;-)

    HTH,

    --bald

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16

    the same problem with fstab

    HI there!

    I have installed knoppix 3.4 in my laptop, wonderful, but my fstab file seems to change everytime I boot. There will be a script that do that but, where I can find info about that? I installed knoppix3.4 in HD with BEGINNER MODE. Maybe if I had installed with OLDER DEBIAN MODE this facts wouldn't passed. But I don't know the difference. Maybe the help must be improve.

    Saludos!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16

    UP!

    UP! Someone answer please!

Similar Threads

  1. saving settings
    By ozgurgerilla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.7 HD Install not saving settings
    By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 08:53 AM
  3. saving settings
    By punkpaddy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
  4. saving settings
    By ankit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:23 AM
  5. Saving settings to a URL?
    By true1ever in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$689.00



Cisco N9K-C93360YC-FX2 Nexus 9300 w/ 96p 1/10/25G,12p 100G,MACsec capable TESTED picture

Cisco N9K-C93360YC-FX2 Nexus 9300 w/ 96p 1/10/25G,12p 100G,MACsec capable TESTED

$3594.95



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop picture

Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop

$44.99