Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: knoppix user automatically logs in v3.4 + /etc/sudoers

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    28

    knoppix user automatically logs in v3.4 + /etc/sudoers

    Hi,

    I downloaded today the new version of knoppix because I had to re-install everything anyway and I do not succeed at loggin in as another user. It automatically goes into knoppix, even though I changed the comfiguration files from the kde interface.
    Another question is... how can I restringe the privileges of user knoppix? In the /etc/sudoers file I found this:

    # KNOPPIX WARNING: This allows the unprivileged knoppix user to start commands as root
    # KNOPPIX WARNING: This is totally insecure and (almost) makes knoppix a second root account.
    # KNOPPIX WARNING: Never allow external access to the knoppix user!!!
    knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

    Please tell me how to change this. My real goal is to employ another user and delete the knoppix one. Do you have any advice?

    thanks,

    Pau

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Pau,

    Sounds like a pretty scary warning, not sure about the other stuff, I'm still running v3.3, but on my Knoppix, I did uncomment the "knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL" setting in the sudoers file...

    Not sure if that "opened" my system to attacks though, I think in a multi-user environment, it could be though. I think you want to keep as many users in a "protected" mode, than to allow them to do a "SU" or a "sudo" to get full Root access, sudo especially, since no password is then required to becoming Root.

    From what I see, the warning is intended to keep you, the SysAdmin of the system, from just unleashing everyone as possible Root. A "su" requires a password to be entered, thus, a user needs to know the password to get rights as Root, whereas, "sudo", with the settings above, does not require them to have ANY password, and still get full Root priviledges. That can be very scary. Add into this sitiuation a user may not even need to enter a password to get into there own account, and then just become a Root, yikes

    Hopefully, someone will be along to answer the "specific" v3.4 questions, but I think v3.3 and, possibly, v3.4 are the same as far as the "security" issues.
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    28
    Thanks Cuddles,

    I installed again all the system with the kanotix script and then all worked properly. My first attempt was with the knoppix script (because I wanted to modify some partitions with cfdisk) but it originated that problem. The kanotix script asks you to add an user and automatically deletes the knoppix user. Now everything is ok. I just have a little question, but I will ask it in the forum.

    thanks again,

    Pau

Similar Threads

  1. access to event logs?
    By wokka in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 07:43 PM
  2. Logs
    By ArthurAnderson in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:41 PM
  3. SSH LOGS
    By pureone in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 06:56 PM
  4. How to edit sudoers to ask for root password?
    By Markus in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 09:10 AM
  5. su rsp: /etc/sudoers is mode 0666, should be 0440
    By markgilmore in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00