Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't boot with kernel 2.6.5 / possible SATA problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16

    Can't boot with kernel 2.6.5 / possible SATA problems

    I have been running a HD install on knoppix 3.3 for some time now and it works great. I have two SATA hard drives in the machine, and after I boot I have to run "hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg" in order to get the hard drives to work. In the past when I ran knoppix 3.3 from disk it recognized them automatically.

    knoppix 3.4 won't boot at all with the 2.6 kernel! If I boot into "linux26" it will freeze / hang / lockup on the line "Probing SCSI... a100u2w.o"

    if I boot with the "linux26 noscsi" option it writes "scanning for hard disk partitions and creating /etc/fstab" and then it starts repeating "disabling irq #18" over and over and over

    I saw one post that said to disable plug n play BIOS, so i wnt into my BIOS and it doesnt have that option, but I did change it to not automatically do the plug n play IRQ thing automatically. Now it does Manual and still boots fine in 3.3

    I have tried a huge variety of configurations using both linux24 and linux26 with the noscsi, nodma, noapic and acpi=off with little success.

    I can boot successfully with "linux24 noscsi nodma"

    However I am trying to boot with linux26 so I can do an HD install. I've tried linux26 with most of the options I list above with no success. The boot config of "linux26 noscsi nodma" will hang on the line "Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM on /dev/scd0.."

    Can anyone help? Thank you!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66
    1: What is your hardware?

    2: Try the new 3.4 that was released today (at 2 AM EDT on 5/10/2004). It may have some fixes

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    thanks zentu,

    i got it working. when i ran it with "knoppix26 noscsi" or "linux26 noscsi" i was getting pretty far but seemed to be hanging up when it got to looking for things to add to /etc/fstab

    if i leave it running for a few minutes, it eventually does boot though. its just really slow for some reason. it took it a full minute or two looking like it had locked up. but i was patient finally and it loaded.

    thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. doing a dual boot with sata, please help
    By Evil One in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 11:01 PM
  2. Boot w Sata
    By rcook in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
  3. Boot problems after using Knoppix 3.7 with kernel 2.6
    By rosid in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
  4. Problems booting with SATA in Knoppix 3.4 (C'T)
    By dxben in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 11:01 AM
  5. Dual boot Kernel Upgrade problems
    By Paradox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 01:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$255.98



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00