Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: how to avoid module-load on hd-install

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436

    how to avoid module-load on hd-install

    I installed knoppix-3.4 to my harddrive, and compiled a new kernel (2.6.4).

    It works well, but I wonder, where the modules are loaded.
    I rarely need the parallel-port, but after booting the modules:

    parport
    parport-pc

    are allways loaded.
    I would prefer to prevent their loading, instead of writing a small script, which unloads them.
    I know how to do the second.

    I grepped in /etc/*, /etc/*/* and /etc/modutils/*/* for 'par' - and after filtering 'parameter' 'paragraph' 'partition' ... - there is no suspicious line left.
    In /etc/modules.conf I commented the line:
    # alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    but it didn't help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    It probably was called from the CUPS server. Look in rc5.d for anything like S20CUPS or something along those lines. Remove them with
    Code:
    update-rc.d -f cups remove
    Then check /etc/modules to make sure parport isn't listed there. If not, then you're basically done, all you need to do is reboot to see the effect of not loading the parport module.

    HTH,

    Durand

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Thanks, Durand, but I mentioned my kernel, because since 2.5.53 /etc/modules.conf is obsolet.
    I mentioned as well that I grepped (I launched the 'grep'-command) for 'par' in the whole /etc -path - well only 3 levels deep to be exact.

    I didn't mention that I'm starting in runlevel 4, but that's not important, since all
    rcX.d/[SH][NN]FILES are linked to
    /etc/init.d/FILES

    I looked for cups, but it's not mentioned in my initscripts. (And there is no cupsd running).

    The only thing which is run is a stripped version of knoppix-autoconfig, which might be guilty.
    I removed everything I will never use (language=spain, pcmcia, firewire, freemem-check, ...), to speed up the starttime of the computer from 60s to 30s (a 1.1 Ghz machine) for booting into the shell.

    But perhaps the PCI-probing, which finds parport0, is loading the module?
    I had a closer look to the scripts because of your reply, so it was helpful without giving the solution.

    And yes, I investigated the /lib/modules/$KVER/module* - files too.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    This is a big issue with me. I am capable of considerable manual configuration of my linux setup on a standard linux setup, and I hate having all the choices taken out of my hand by over automation. There should be away to switch the auto configuration off and choose which modules you want loaded manually on a permanent basis to tweak the install. Perhaps it should be switched back on manually before swapping hd to another box (and then switched off again). Autoconfiguration that reinstates the same mistakes every time I boot is a drag. Can some one find an easy way to switch it off and make manual configuration persistent.

Similar Threads

  1. sound module install
    By thummer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
  2. I wanna load a module at boot time...
    By tofu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 03:56 AM
  3. Load Cisco VPN client kernel module?
    By probono in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
  4. Abit IS7 NIC module, how to load it from floppy?
    By arkaine23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. how to load module for undetected ISA nic?
    By catfish in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$312.73



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1539.00



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99