Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: newbie hd install help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Rowley
    Posts
    1

    newbie hd install help

    Greetings

    I have Xp Pro installed on primary drive F and my old drive C is the slave. I don't want to touch my F drive. Is there a way that I could install to the slave drive and use Grub to choose which os to use? Or do I have to put a bootable partition on the main drive?

    I am totally new to Linux so any help will be much appreciated. I ran qtparted and I see/dev/hda1/ as a ntfs
    and I see/dev/hdb1/ as a fat32 format. I would like to instal linux on this partition

    Sincerely,
    beercanchix

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    HDD install.....

    Thats like my setup. I have a C: drive with WINXP and a D: drive with KNOPPIX 3.3 I havent gotten around to update it to 3.4 yet, but 2 hard drives are better and you dont have to mess with the other one. Just go into cmos [setup] on your computer and set it to boot from the 2nd HDD. Then put KNOPPIX in and boot to completion, bring up console and do "knx2hd" and cross your fingers! Make SURE you install it to the PROPER HDD! I dont have any experience with GRUB, just LILO and you will be prompted for that later anyway. I have LILO on my MBR and everything works fine. You have to edit LILO tho to recognize your 2 OS's. And from what I remember since the MBR is on your WIN drive, you have to go back into cmos and change it to BOOT from the FIRST HDD drive where the MBR is. I think Linux is the default after 20 seconds if you dont select an OS. I forget how to edit LILO but it is in the forum someplace. When you do edit that file, when you are done, in the console always type "lilo" [without quotes] to update it. Otherwise you will have trouble. The good thing about putting KNOPPIX on your 2nd HDD is, if anything screws up, you can start over!!!! Nothing hurt!!! bob

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie.. trying to partition HD for install
    By westcparts in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 01:00 AM
  2. newbie install questions
    By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 03:38 PM
  3. Newbie - Cable modem install
    By slicksps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 02:49 AM
  4. Newbie question about HD install - Don't laugh
    By iamanewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 05:34 PM
  5. Newbie (How do I install Programs?)
    By JKLNJ in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99