-
Knoppix saved my life
I added some critical windows patches to a file server at work. After restarting the machine Windows claimed the second HD was dead.
I was suspicious about this 'hardware error' (especially after a software update) so I grabbed a Knoppx CD from home the next morning and gave it a try when I got in to work.
Yep, the drive was working perfectly. Nothing I did on the Windows machine could fix the problem and convince windows to 'see' the drive, but luckily Knoppix comes with a CD burning app built-in, so all the files were burnt to CD and moved to our other file server. The boot, browse, burn took only a few minutes and was as smooth as silk.
The reason knoppix saved my life? Our last backup from the 'dead' drive had failed -- which, of course, you often only discover when you most need it.
I might need to make a donation to balance the Karma.
-
I think knoppix-std has 'testdisk' on it.
it'll scan the whole drive, and recover lost partitions, and rewrite the tables.
Similar Threads
-
By chris-harry in forum Games
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
-
By pierre in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
-
By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
-
By Bothersome in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:20 AM
-
By mharazin78 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-16-2004, 05:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99