Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix saved my life

  1. #1

    Knoppix saved my life

    I added some critical windows patches to a file server at work. After restarting the machine Windows claimed the second HD was dead.

    I was suspicious about this 'hardware error' (especially after a software update) so I grabbed a Knoppx CD from home the next morning and gave it a try when I got in to work.

    Yep, the drive was working perfectly. Nothing I did on the Windows machine could fix the problem and convince windows to 'see' the drive, but luckily Knoppix comes with a CD burning app built-in, so all the files were burnt to CD and moved to our other file server. The boot, browse, burn took only a few minutes and was as smooth as silk.

    The reason knoppix saved my life? Our last backup from the 'dead' drive had failed -- which, of course, you often only discover when you most need it.

    I might need to make a donation to balance the Karma.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    I think knoppix-std has 'testdisk' on it.
    it'll scan the whole drive, and recover lost partitions, and rewrite the tables.

Similar Threads

  1. Half Life 2...
    By chris-harry in forum Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 11:01 AM
  2. Life CD
    By pierre in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  3. I have a sad life...
    By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
  4. Life Expectancy of Flash Memory Sticks
    By Bothersome in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:20 AM
  5. Half Life On Knoppix
    By mharazin78 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01