Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 HD install LiLO problem ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    23

    Knoppix 3.4 HD install LiLO problem ...

    Hello all:

    After downloading the new Knoppix 3.4 CD and thoroughly trying the Live version out with both the 2.5 and 2.6.5 versions of the kernel, I went on to do a hard disk install with the new knoppix-installer script.

    As expected everything went off quite well and besides having to modify the vga=xxx entry (to 'normal') in the lilo.conf file and having to manually start CUPS, there were no major surprises.

    I had already practised a lot with the Knoppix 3.3 CD.

    The rig is composed thus:

    First drive SCSI
    sda1 W2000
    sda5

    Second drive SCSI
    sdb5
    sdb6

    Third drive SCSI
    sdc1
    sdc2
    sdc3

    Fourth drive
    sdd5 IDE HDD FAT32 in a USB 2.0 enclosure.

    The Knoppix install is on the third SCSI drive (sdc1) and LiLO is on the first SCSI drive's (sda1) mbr.

    At boot, besides the W2000 option at sda1, LiLO offers three additional options:

    Linux
    Linux (2.4)-1
    Linux (2.6)-2

    The first and the second options boot into kernel 2.4 with this error message:

    mount: fs type devfs not supprted by kernel.

    The third option does not boot and gives the following error message:

    pnp: unable to assign resources to device 01:01.01.
    Kernel panic: VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8.33)

    From there, only a hard reset gets me out.

    It would seem to me that this is a LiLO problem as the Live CD works perfectly well with both kernel options.

    It is at this point that my first question comes up:

    Why are there 'three' options (instead of just the two kernels) to boot into Linux?

    I'd expect just two, 2.4 and 2.6.

    The first two have apparently the same effect and boot into 2.4.26 although the corresponding entries in the

    lilo.conf file point to different kernel images:

    Label='Linux'
    /boot/initrd.img

    Label='Linux (2.4)-1'
    /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26

    Curiously enough, the third option ...

    Linux (2.6)-2

    ... does not point to any image at all, the space is just blank.

    If I add what would seem to be the correct line: (which is an existing image file)

    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5

    LiLO will balk when run and say:

    Fatal: empty map section.

    My second question is:

    How to solve the problem presented by 'mount: fs type devfs not supprted by kernel problem'?

    Is it a problem at all?

    And the last and most important question ....

    How can I fix this so as to be able to boot into the 2.6.5 kernel?

    Ahhh ...
    Another last one

    KMix loads along with X ...
    Can't find where to tweak so as to stop it from loading.

    Thanks in advance.

    CIV

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Installation to external drives is only possible if your bios supports booting from those devices. If yours does, I don't know.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    23
    Hello:

    Nope ...
    I am not installing to the external drive.

    I have successfully installed Knoppix 3.4 to the third drive's first primary partition, sdc1.

    The Knoppix install is on the third SCSI drive (sdc1) and LiLO is on the first SCSI drive's (sda1) mbr.
    The problem is booting to the 2.6.5 kernel.

    Thanks anyhow,

    CIV

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    23
    Hello again:

    I've been able to trace the problem to the existence of a zero-length initrd.img-2.6.5 file ... ;-/

    That's why Knoppix won't boot with the 2.6.5 kernel.

    So then it is not a LiLO problem.

    But I have no idea how to go from here.

    Is this a bug in the knoppix-installer script?
    Or is it something I have not done correctly?

    Anyone?

    Thanks in advance,

    CIV

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvi Risorta
    Hello again:

    I've been able to trace the problem to the existence of a zero-length initrd.img-2.6.5 file ... ;-/

    That's why Knoppix won't boot with the 2.6.5 kernel.

    So then it is not a LiLO problem.

    But I have no idea how to go from here.

    Is this a bug in the knoppix-installer script?
    Or is it something I have not done correctly?

    Anyone?

    Thanks in advance,

    CIV
    Hi,

    well you can try to rebuild the initrd and see what problems are there:

    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5 2.6.5

    And tell me whats happening ...

    cu

    Fabian

    PS: Nice that means SCSI does work with installer. Despite there were some reports that said the opposite.
    PPS: The first entry is just for you that you don't need to change lilo.conf when you install a new kernel ...

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi all,
    I tried the above suggestion and found that mkinitrd fails as below

    root@ttyp0[boot]# mkinitrd -o /mnt/sda1/boot/initrd.img-2.6.5 -r /dev/sda1 2.6.5
    /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed
    FATAL: Module sd_mod not found.

    What now? Is this a problem with the makeup of the Knoppix 3.4 disk?
    Regards,
    Dave

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    23
    Hello FabianX:

    Thanks for the reply and the info.
    I was beggining to lose hope.

    PS: Nice that means SCSI does work with installer. Despite there were some reports that said the opposite.
    Indeed ...
    I find that it works quite well, at least from what I can see from my polluted MS background.

    FWIW, this Celeron 366 rig has 512Mb RAM and boots with an Adaptec AHA-29160 card running these units:

    Seagate ST39140LW Ultra2
    Seagate ST39140LW Ultra2
    IBM DCAS 34330 UW (where Knoppix lives)
    Toshiba 40X CD-ROM
    Sony 926S 2x6 CD-R
    HP Surestore 5000i DAT Drive

    PPS: The first entry is just for you that you don't need to change lilo.conf when you install a new kernel ...
    Thank you for this bit of info.
    I was really wondering about that and I see that it is not explained anywhere.

    As I could not wait to see what was up, I just reinstalled using the Debian option.

    But I still cannot boot into Knoppix26.
    I get the same error as before.

    The lilo.conf file is still missing the pointer to an image file and my guess (haven't checked yet) is that the zero length file is still there.

    The Knopppix CD will boot into 2.6.5 (boot: knoppix26) but strangely enough, if I boot using cheatcodes 'knoppix26 2 [whatever options], the Knoppix CD will simply 'not' boot into 2.6.5, complaining that it does not see the (2.6.5, evidently) filesystem.

    No idea as to what's going on.
    Could it be a layout problem as Dave suggests?

    Best regards,

    CIV

    PS: Say, what's the deal with devfs?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    23
    Hello FabianX:

    I tried your suggestion and had the same result as Dave:

    root@Groucho-lnx:~#
    root@Groucho-lnx:~# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5 2.6.5
    /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed
    FATAL: Module sd_mod not found.
    root@Groucho-lnx:~#

    The lilo.conf file is still missing the pointer to an image file and my guess (haven't checked yet) is that the zero length file is still there.
    I can confirm that the zero-length /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5 file is still there.
    ie: once again, it was not created on install.

    Anyone with ideas?

    Thanks in advance,


    CIV

    PS: UPDATE 14/05/04 19:46 -03:00 GMT

    I googled "FATAL: Module sd_mod not found." and found a few references in the Gentoo forum relating to module-init-tools-3.0.

    Quote:
    module-init-tools-3.0_pre6, 7, 8, and 9 are buggy
    SOLUTION: downgrade to pre5

    This problem is over my head at this moment, so if anyone has any ideas as to how to fix it, I'd be very grateful if they were posted.

    Tks.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1
    whats lilo huh

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Stands for LInux LOader. Probably the most commonly used bootloader for Linux HD installations, but GRUB - GRand Unified Bootloader is gaining ground. Both allow multiple boots, so that you can still do stuff in Windows that Linux won't do yet (e.g., accommodate someone else in your household who doesn't want to use linux).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 3.8.1 does not install LILO
    By ottosykora in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 11:57 PM
  2. Install XP after Knoppix - LILO problem
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 08:06 PM
  3. Problem with LILO after install knoppix 3.6 to harddrive
    By lewisdw in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 02:10 PM
  4. 3.6 hdd install lilo problem solved
    By eludom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM
  5. HDD install problem - Error 0x07 using LILO from boot disk
    By bbouton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99