-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Calvi wrote:
At boot, besides the W2000 option at sda1, LiLO offers three additional options:
Linux
Linux (2.4)-1
Linux (2.6)-2
The first and the second options boot into kernel 2.4 with this error message:
mount: fs type devfs not supprted by kernel.
The third option does not boot and gives the following error message:
pnp: unable to assign resources to device 01:01.01.
Kernel panic: VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8.33)
From there, only a hard reset gets me out.
This is exactly what I get after having installed 3.4. I've tried to understand the rest of the thread, but a lot of it is beyond me. Were you able to resolve this issue, after all? I kind of got lost, and don't know what the result was. My thread is here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10735
Any help would be tremendously appreciated..
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello CW:
No, I have not been able to find the cause of the problem.
I have asked about the problems I have had in a number of posts but to no avail.
I don't know if this is an 'installer problem', a 'SCSI driver problem' or something else related to init-tools or whatever ... 
The thing is that only the first version of the Knoppix CD will boot kernel 2.6, the next two will not. Whatever has changed in the CDs composition, drivers or layout has the clue.
See my posts to get the idea:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10697
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10615
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10614
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10385
Apparently there originally were some posts saying that the installer did not work properly with SCSI installations and these problems do seem (at least to me) something that is related to PCs running SCSI rigs, so mabe it is SCSI driver related.
But I really can't say ...
I'll have to read and investigate the link posted by liquidant and see what gives.
Nevertheless, I see that the post is related to the very first 3.4 version of Knoppix handed out at the C'T expo and not distributed for downloading. It apaprently had some quirks and missing files, most probably due to the fact that it was strictly a LiveCD for evaluation.
All posterior versions surely had the missing files incorporated to the CD as well as quite a few fixes which made it more complete and installable.
Sorry, but I'm afraid that's all I can contribute for the moment.
Cheers and don't give up,
CIV
-
Thanks CIV
I noticed, however, that you say elsewhere that you're able to boot into 2.4, albeit with the now-infamous (and infuriating!) error message about devfs. Is that true? I've actually never been able to boot into an installation, because it hangs after the kernal panic (whichever option is loaded from LILO). So for me, it's not even a 2.6 issue--I just want to have any version running!
Perhaps I'll go find the first ISO (5.4.04?) and try to install that... I'd just like to see anything running, at this stage.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello again, CW:
.... you're able to boot into 2.4, albeit with the now-infamous (and infuriating!) error message about devfs. Is that true?
Of course ...
I've never told a lie. 
Seriously, have a look at all the posts I linked for the details.
All versions of the Knoppix CD ran 'Live' 2.4 on my rig.
Only the first one booted 2.6. I was able to install all three (2.4) to CD.
I've actually never been able to boot into an installation, because it hangs after the kernal panic (whichever option is loaded from LILO). So for me, it's not even a 2.6 issue--I just want to have any version running!
My guess is that it's one thing if the LiveCD does not boot and another if you cannot get it to install on to the HD.
If you cannot boot the LiveCD, have a long hard look at the cheat codes sheet. The key to many a problem usually lies there.
Perhaps I'll go find the first ISO (5.4.04?) and try to install that... I'd just like to see anything running, at this stage.
Did you ever try version 3.3?
All this said, I think that we must not lose sight of the fact that KnoppixCD is a LiveCD distro (and a fantastic one at that !!!) but one which apparently was never meant to be a distro for installing to HD.
This makes me think that to find a solution to the small set of problems many of us have experienced with the HD installation we'll have to both keep an eye on this forum for anything new but also look elsewhere for cleaning up our act when installing Knoppix to HD.
As I read in the first page of this forum:
Once you have installed Knoppix,
it basicly becomes debian, so you should check out
www.debian.org for information.
Have a look here:
http://jetblackz.nabaza.org/
It's just full of great easy to understand info about Linux in general and how to install it.
Do read all of it ...
And very specially look here:
http://jetblackz.nabaza.org/InstallingKnoppix34.html
Cheers and don't give up.
CIV
Similar Threads
-
By ottosykora in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 11:57 PM
-
By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 08:06 PM
-
By lewisdw in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-14-2004, 02:10 PM
-
By eludom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By bbouton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00