Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: KDE question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6

    KDE question

    Sorry about all the noob posts, but I just had a revelation, and I was wondering if Knoppix comes standard with installed KDE. I've installed Knoppix on my hard drive, but I'm not in KDE, just my normal FluxBox.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    When I was running v3.2, and now 3.3, it comes with KDE, not sure on v3.4 - but from what posts I have read, it appears v3.4 comes with KDE as well.

    Hope this helps,
    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    That's what I thought, too, when I was reading all of the topics on KDE. I am just confused, because when I boot into Knoppix, I get the fluxbox, not KDE. Is there something else I should do to boot KDE also?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Sorry, but this is getting pretty low on the page, and I still would like to know why I can't get KDE, so I'm going to bump this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Hey! That's a great idea! I will bump my questions too!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Ok,

    Lets see if I can get you running into KDE...

    First, I am assume the reason you are running Flux is not due to memory, or being low on it, and the choice as all yours, because from what I hear, KDE can run pretty heavy on the memory, and again, from what I hear, Flux is more "conservative" in the memory usage...

    During the "Login" screen, when you boot, or change users, I am going off Knoppix v3.3 here, so it may not look the same, nor may the menu screen be the same, if you are using a different version, but the jest should be the same... In the login screen, mine at least, you select the user you want to login, and then enter the password just below it, on that same screen, do you have a choice of "Window Desktops" ? (it will be a "drop-down" box, and may be showing "Fluxbox", or possibly "Default"....)

    If you can locate that Window Desktop box, can you pull that down, and locate "KDE" in it? I had this problem of these "Desktop" environments, the last time I did a "apt-get upgrade", and X was being upgraded, it decided to make itself the "Default", which I have always used "KDE", I had to change the "Default" selection, to force it to run KDE.

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    The kdm login is different under KDE 3.2 if you have either upgraded from apt-get or from reinstalling knoppix 3.4 to the hard drive. In KDE 3.1.5, the choices of window managers were placed directly under the username and password box. You could choose by clicking on the arrow which dropped down a list of installed window mangers. In KDE 3.2 this is no longer visible, but it's still there under menu > servers > list of window managers, (I'm going off of memory so chime in and make corrections please).

    If you want to make your preferred window manager the default, simply open a console window as root and type:
    Code:
    update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
    To make your preferred session manager as default, you type:
    Code:
    update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
  2. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B) picture

(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)

$575.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor picture

USED - Intel Core i7-13700 SRMBA 2.10GHz 30M 16-Core Socket 1700 CPU Processor

$250.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99