Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 SATA

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix 3.4 SATA

    I am have used Linux in a work environment before, but this is my first time setting Linux up on my main computer. When I boot Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.4.x kernel, everything seems to load up ok, but not with all the drivers. My sound does not work, which is ok because I do not need it for what I want to do, the video works at 1280X1024X24 but the exact drivers are not loaded, and my SATA drive is not detected. I want to do a hard drive install, but since the SATA drivers do not load I cannot. (I have a 80GB SATA drive, 60GB partitioned NTFS with Windows XP Pro, and the rest of the space I have reserved for Linux.) When I try to boot with the 2.6.5 kernel the boot-up freezes after trying to load, or scan for, the second SCSI module. When I tried to boot with the option no{scsi} it still freezes at that point.
    I have heard that if I compile my own kernel I can make the SATA controller work under linux, but how would I do this with Knoppix? Could I boot into Knoppix 3.4 with the 2.4x kernel, then compile my own kernel with 2.6.5 and the SATA drivers, then burn it all onto a CD so it would be bootable like the Knoppix 3.4 cd? And if so, where is a good place to search for the SATA drives and a guide on how to compile your own kernel. Thanks for all your help. (Here is the output for lspci -v.)

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?) (rev c1)
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev c1)
    Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c17
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

    0000:00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev c1)
    Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c17
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

    0000:00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev c1)
    Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c17
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

    0000:00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev c1)
    Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c17
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

    0000:00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev c1)
    Subsystem: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0c17
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel

    0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 0c11
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 0c11
    Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel, IRQ 23
    I/O ports at e000 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 5004
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
    Memory at e8003000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 5004
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at e8004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 5004
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
    Memory at e8005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device a002
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
    I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
    I/O ports at d400 [size=128]
    Memory at e8001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 00009000-0000bfff
    Memory behind bridge: e6000000-e7ffffff

    0000:00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 5002
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
    I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff
    Memory behind bridge: e4000000-e5ffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d0000000-dfffffff

    0000:01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device e000
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
    Memory at e7006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:01:0c.0 RAID bus controller: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT/ITE8212 Dual channel ATA RAID controller (PCI version seems to be IT8212, embedded seems (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Integrated Technology Express, Inc.: Unknown device 0001
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at 9410 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 9800 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 9c10 [size=8]
    I/O ports at a000 [size=4]
    I/O ports at a400 [size=16]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:01:0d.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) Silicon Image Serial ATARaid Controller [ CMD/Sil 3512 ] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) Silicon Image Serial ATARaid Controller [ CMD/Sil 3512 ]
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at a800 [size=8]
    I/O ports at ac00 [size=4]
    I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
    I/O ports at b400 [size=4]
    I/O ports at b800 [size=16]
    Memory at e7004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=512K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:01:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device 1000
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
    Memory at e7005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
    Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0002
    Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
    Memory at e5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800] (Secondary)
    Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0003
    Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32
    Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at e5010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Try the latest iso released on 10 May 04 to see if the 2.6 series kernel can now get past those unstable scsi modules.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    That is the version that I am using. I downloaded Knoppix 3.4 two days ago, and I did try booting with the option knoppix26. The SCSI problem only happens when I boot with that option.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66
    He said to download the newest version of the Iso That was released at around 2 this morning EDT.

    But, I have noticed a few problems with the first 3.4 that was released and my Nforce2 Mobo, you typed that you tried the no{scsi} option, there are no brackets, it is noscsi, the brackets don't work. Have you also tried it with the 2.4.x kernal to see if it boots (mine does, but it has issues with 2.6.x)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    i am also having problems getting knoppix26 to boot and recognize my sata drives. I can get everything to work in a 2.4 boot, but when i do "knoppix26 noscsi" i get the error "Disabling IRQ #18" repeating over and over for about 2 minutes, then it finally quits and loads KDE. *however* when I try to mount my sata drive it says "Can't read superblock" and if I use the command "hdparm -X66 -d1 /dev/hdg" which is how i used to get it to work on 2.4 kernels, this still doesn't work.

    Has anyone got some advice on what to try next? I really want to do an HD install of 2.6 but this is the last thing preventing me.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    There should be an option in the BIOS about SATA configuration mode.
    Try playing with this mode and see how it reacts to different cheatcodes.
    Also play with the ACPI options in the BIOS .
    I think this could do the trick for you ...

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4 on SATA DVD drive
    By jleroy in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 06:04 PM
  2. Knoppix & SATA?
    By Alterscape in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 02:35 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.7 does not notice my SATA HDD
    By jayan65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 04:35 PM
  4. How can I see a SATA HDD in Knoppix 3.4 ?
    By bloopsys in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 10:03 PM
  5. knoppix 3.3 and SATA-- won't boot-- HELP!
    By torchZ06 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99