Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Weird cursor on Sony Vaio XG18

  1. #1

    Weird cursor on Sony Vaio XG18

    Hi There !!!

    I'm a bit new to unix. I propgrammed a CD with V3.1-2003-01-01-EN.

    It seems to work fine on my desktop (pentium III on generic motherboard)

    However, when I try to boot on my laptop, a Sony Vaio XG18 (pentium III and 256Mb) I get a weird cursor (square and looks like a picket fence)

    I have tried the knoppix pci=irqmask=0x0e98, with the result of having no mouse and cursor.

    Please is anyone out there with a similar notebook who solved this problem or any other ideas ???

    Very much appreciated, KLAUS

    I'm taking a LINUX admin class at the time and hopefully I will be able to understand a bit more in a few weeks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What video chipset does your laptop have?

    Some video cards need to have an option set for the cursor. Look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and look for this section:
    ...
    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    # sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
    #Option "sw_cursor"
    #Option "hw_cursor"
    #Option "NoAccel"
    #Option "ShowCache"
    #Option "ShadowFB"
    #Option "UseFBDev"
    #Option "Rotate"
    Identifier "Card0"
    ...
    you might want to edit the file to allow: " Option "sw_cursor" " by removing the # in the front of that line.

    What you'll need to do is start up in console mode ' knoppix 2 ' make the changes to the file (nano is pretty easy to use) and then change to user knoppix, by : " su knoppix " and then start X with: " startx "

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3

    Weird cursor on Sony Vaio XG18

    Hi There !!!

    Yes, it seems the "sw_cursor" has worked, I have not done extensive testing yet.

    The graphics chipset is a NeoMagic MagicMedia 256XL+

    I was wondering if there is a command line switch, which can be used at boot prompt, which does the same thing without the editing of the file.

    Also, if I want to switch back to root as of "su root" I dont know the password, a <cr> alone doesn't seem to work ???

    Sorry for these simple Qs, I still have a long way to go.

    Are there any book or manuals to download or buy. "Deutsch oder Englisch, ist fuer mich kein Problem.

    Thanks, und Vielen Dank , KlausRSchambeck

  4. #4

    Re: Weird cursor on Sony Vaio XG18

    Quote Originally Posted by KlausRSchambeck
    Also, if I want to switch back to root as of "su root" I dont know the password, a <cr> alone doesn't seem to work ???
    The passwords are locked in Knoppix so you can switch to the root account using su. However, The root account launches the graphical environment, so you can switch to a virtual terminal ( CTRL+ALT+[F2|F3|F4]) and have root access (CTRL+ALT+F5 to get back to the graphical shell). Or you can launch a root Xterm from the KNOPPIX submenu off of the K menu.


    -hth

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 12:38 PM
  2. Sony Vaio VGN S150
    By tlewis in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:29 AM
  3. Sony VAIO PCG-V505DX
    By adler in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. Sony Vaio hangs - help!
    By bdeli in forum Laptops
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
  5. Knoppix on Sony Vaio
    By bigrobot in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$1029.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00