Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Writing to NTFS with Knopix 3.4 krnl 2.6

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8

    Writing to NTFS with Knopix 3.4 krnl 2.6

    Can you write to NTFS with Knoppix 3.4 if you boot wit Kernel 2.6(knoppix26)?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Supposedly, yes, but I haven't had the guts to try it on MY computer, anyway. There is a configuration setup that you have to run first, which grabs the drivers from your existing Windows installation, installer disk, or MS website. I tried running it and got a shipload of error messages. Between that and the bug wiki, which documented some bugs, I laid low.

    Now, supposedly, the 2004-05-10 build takes care of some of those errors. I'm d/ling as I write . . . .

    Anyhway, click the penguin button in your task bar and trace up to Configure. I think it's in there. While you're at it, you'll probably want to do a save configuration and set a location. Otherwise, you'll have to do it all over again on your next boot.

    JD

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake

    Now, supposedly, the 2004-05-10 build takes care of some of those errors. I'm d/ling as I write . . . .

    Anyhway, click the penguin button in your task bar and trace up to Configure. I think it's in there. While you're at it, you'll probably want to do a save configuration and set a location. Otherwise, you'll have to do it all over again on your next boot.

    JD
    What kind of errors?

    And does the new version work?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    The version of captive-install-acquire on KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04 had some sort of a problem with the "gnome-vfs-httpcaptive" module that meant that you couldn't download the NTFS drivers from MS's site. (You could still scan an existing WinXP partition for them.)

    That problem is fixed in KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8
    I'm now downloading the torrent of 3.4 2004-05-10...

    It will take some days, my connection is slow...

    10 KBYTE/second...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    The version of captive-install-acquire on KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04 had some sort of a problem with the "gnome-vfs-httpcaptive" module that meant that you couldn't download the NTFS drivers from MS's site. (You could still scan an existing WinXP partition for them.)

    That problem is fixed in KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10.
    Well, it's still hanging my computer while scanning my hard drive, using 2004-05-10. Seems like it's sucking up all my ram, as it starts out scanning fairly quickly, then slows gradually to a virtual stop, and I can't even abort or halt. It fnds the files fairly early, but instead of being satisfied when they're found, it just keeps on chugging until the whole system collapses under the weight of the search. BTW, I have 512 MB of RAM and a pair of 80 gb HDs, Athlon XP, running from CD with 300 MB persistent home.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by bast
    I'm now downloading the torrent of 3.4 2004-05-10...

    It will take some days, my connection is slow...

    10 KBYTE/second...
    I hear ya.
    I'm trying to dl off the torrent, but it seems leechers are getting megabytes off of me while only sharing 10k.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Well, it's still hanging my computer while scanning my hard drive, using 2004-05-10. Seems like it's sucking up all my ram, as it starts out scanning fairly quickly, then slows gradually to a virtual stop, and I can't even abort or halt. It fnds the files fairly early, but instead of being satisfied when they're found, it just keeps on chugging until the whole system collapses under the weight of the search.
    Here's a workaround.

    Captive wants the following files (from WinXP):

    X:\%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\cdfs.sys
    X:\%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\fastfat.sys
    X:\%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    X:\%WINDIR%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

    Mount your WinXP partition and copy them to a directory in your persistent home, e.g. ~/captive-drivers. Unmount the partition. Then run

    sudo captive-install-acquire --text --scan-path=/home/knoppix/captive-drivers

    and you'll get an error message about not being able to read ext2fsd.sys that you can ignore. You should now be able to mount your NTFS partition using the command

    sudo mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

    (or the mountpoint of your choice).

    Captive-NTFS seems to be a resource hog. It also seems to be flaky - sometimes I have to try several times in order to enter a directory on the NTFS partition. From what I read, files aren't actually written to the NTFS partition until it's unmounted. YMMV, but it doesn't seem to be ready for use in fstab.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Thanks, that's an excellent idea!!

    If I do this, and save my configuration at logoff, and reload it with each successive logon, can I assume that I won't need to repeat this exercise? Or is captive NTFS set up differently?

    JD

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Good question. You know, I'm not sure you even need to run captive-install-acquire, since I don't see any saved configuration files in ~. Maybe all you really need to do is copy those four files from WinXP into /var/lib/captive and you're good to go! (Running from the live CD, that is.) After a reboot, that's all I had to do.

Similar Threads

  1. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
  3. Writing to a NTFS Drive
    By JamesNU in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 02:27 AM
  4. Sound OK w/ krnl 2.4 - not OK w/ krnl 2.6
    By SunnyB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 01:29 AM
  5. No OO in Knopix 3.3
    By dstarke in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Server Cables (FREE SHIP) picture

IBM Server Cables (FREE SHIP)

$16.89



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00