-
Senior Member
registered user
Sound Advice needed - XMMS and GAIM
Hi all,
My son's winblows has hosed it's mouse and no amount of reinstalling will bring it back, thus the boy has been introduced to the linux equivalents. So far so good.
Only catch right now is getting sound for GAIM, preferable while listening to XMMS so he can be alerted when a message arrives.
Hardware is a ASUS A7V266 mobo with intergrated sound
lspci -v lists:
Code:
0000:00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 01b
0 (rev c2)
Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 0c11
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
Memory at ed800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio (rev c
2)
Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8384
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
I/O ports at e100 [size=256]
I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
I don't know which drivers I should install, at this point I've removed sndconfig, aumix, and kmix. Any suggestions?
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
Interestingly enough I have the same mobo and sound works just fine. Did you use the 'alsa' cheat when you installed? Of course you could just build the alsa drivers against your kernel source. I would recommend reinstalling kmix or aumix as they are mixers and sndconfig is a tool for configuring the sound card. Of course if it didn't help then perhaps it isn't so necessary.
Dunno if sound works on GAIM at the same time as using XMMS because:
a) I have no friends
or
b) I've never used GAIM.
Of course I could install and use GAIM but then I'd be right back to the no friends problem.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I didn't say in my original post, XMMS works fine, it's GAIM that has no sound, either by itself or while XMMS is running. The sounds option is checked in the GAIM setup.
Thanks again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
From the FAQ @ gaim.sf.net:
How do I get sound to work correctly?
Gaim uses libao to play sounds. Playing sounds directly through esound or arts is no longer supported.
" Libao is a cross-platform library that allows programs to output PCM audio data to the native audio devices on a wide variety of platforms. It currently supports OSS (Open Sound System), ESD (ESounD), ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture), Sun audio system (used in Solaris, OpenBSD, and NetBSD), aRts (Analog Realtime Synthesizer). "
To compile Gaim with support for libao you need libao-devel and audiofile-devel. To use libao you need libao and audiofile. If you do not wish to install these packages you can also just change your sound playing method in preferences to Command and use "esdplay %s" or "artsplay %s."
How do I make Gaim use ALSA or OSS for playing sounds? What does the "Automatic" option do?
If you choose "Automatic", "ESD", or "Arts", Gaim uses libao to play sounds. Choosing "ESD" or "Arts" forces libao to play sounds using that method, while choosing "Automatic" lets it decide for itself.
If you choose Automatc, you can create a file, either /etc/libao.conf or ~/.libao, and put one of the following lines in it:
default_driver=alsa
default_driver=oss
You'll be using the ALSA drivers so follow those instructions.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, still having problems with this. In a moment of unguided inspiration I wen't into the control center and managed to make xmms the system notification medium. Now kcontrol won't let me change that. Is there a way to manually edit the configuration for kcontrol. I've tried uninstalling (with purge) and reinstalling but to no avail.
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rusty
Well, still having problems with this. In a moment of unguided inspiration I wen't into the control center and managed to make xmms the system notification medium. Now kcontrol won't let me change that. Is there a way to manually edit the configuration for kcontrol. I've tried uninstalling (with purge) and reinstalling but to no avail.
Thanks.
DOH! I hate it when that happens.
Sorry but I'm the last person you'd want to ask anything about KDE aince I don't use it. Maybe it's a good idea to start a new thread w/ a subject directed toward your issue w/ Kcontrol.
Similar Threads
-
By djh-world in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By WedDa in forum The Lounge
Replies: 9
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
-
By furryfren in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 11:46 PM
-
By bonecrusher in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 02:24 AM
-
By ellen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99

OEM Genuine 86Wh 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$35.99

OEM Genuine 07KRV Battery Dell Latitude 5330 7330 7430 7530 Precision 3570 FK0VR
$34.49

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95