Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: extra partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    36

    extra partition

    I created an extra partition when I installed knoppix hda5 to store documents that I would like to keep if I had to reinstall knoppix
    but it does not show on my desktop I specified ext 3 in fdisk
    how do I initialize it or mount it so I can use it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: extra partition

    Quote Originally Posted by dougvega
    I created an extra partition when I installed knoppix hda5 to store documents that I would like to keep if I had to reinstall knoppix
    but it does not show on my desktop I specified ext 3 in fdisk
    how do I initialize it or mount it so I can use it?
    Specifying a filesystem in a partitoning utility only provides a label. The partition must still be formatted afterall you can't actually mount a partition but rather you mount the filesystem. For ext3 do this:

    mke2fs -j /dev/hda5

    Then you can mount the partition.

    mount /dev/hda /mnt/point

    If you want it done automatically then you just need to add a line to /etc/fstab. Surely there is an example in that file already.

Similar Threads

  1. extra other language
    By bela in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 05:32 PM
  2. extra klik question popups
    By drews in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 08:57 AM
  3. /lib/modules/extra/alsa/snd-intel8x0.o missing in 3.3
    By Edwin Glaser in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 09:03 PM
  4. extra bagage
    By dougvega in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 12:14 AM
  5. How to make my extra /home partition reiserfs
    By anibal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10+ 12.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10+ 12.4" 256GB 12GB Gray Wi-Fi AMOLED Android

$580.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



LOT OF 20  128GB 2230 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs | Mixed Brands picture

LOT OF 20 128GB 2230 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSDs | Mixed Brands

$269.95



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00